Shave mug size?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Salty Belle, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Not sure I'm posting in the right forum, so mods move this if I am:)

In your opinion, what's the optimal size for a good shave mug? Height and diameter?

Tia!

Kt

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Carbide Mike and Salty Belle like this.
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

3-1/4 inches tall and 3-1/4 inches inside diameter, in my opinion. That will accommodate 3 inch diameter shaving soap cakes, and also do double duty as a lathering bowl in a pinch.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My favorite and daily used mug was the EJ in black. I used it to soak my brush only and never lathered in it, but it was really great until some doofus dropped it. :scared003:

5. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! I was thinking of bringing some mugs in with my logo on them, but was thinking of the guys who like to bowl/mug lather. Or I suppose you could have coffee in:)

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I found that the apothecary mug that I got recently from West Coast Shaving is an ideal size. The top diameter is 4-1/2". The bottom diameter is 3-1/4". The height is 3-1/2"

7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

That's perfect!!! I lather on top of my soap and I like a little room to move, and I want the lather to stay in the mug. :happy088:

8. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

I have a cappuccino mug that is superb in size and shape: 4" W x 3" D. Most of the tubs that soap come in, and the wooden bowls especially are too small to make lather.

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Most of my pucks are 4oz. with dimensions of 3in x 1in. They work great in the shorter Old Spice mugs, enough room to lather, not too heavy and no banging against the sides with a brush, well minimal any way.

10. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I have face lathered once and didnt enjoy it as much so I am pretty much a bowl lather only guy...My ideal size is more of a bowl, and is 6" diameter X 3" high....it also has a spout which I rest my brush in....now, the reason I like it is because I can build lather in it without constant clanking of the bowl, and allows me more space/angles to work the soap and I dont get soap all over the handle...yes, Im kind of OCD.

11. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I am sure the size of your brush will be a factor in what suits you the best as brushes ten to vary from mainly 20mm ish to 30mm ish in size, I myslef have quite a few brushes and all fall between those sizes, I have a a few different mugs, the odd one is really small but still works fine, but old spice mug size as mentioned is nice for me.

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

A Vintage Old Spice mug. I don't lather up with it, because I face lather, but it's perfect for soaking my Boar brushes, before a shave.

But, when I did bowl lather I had a 5 x 2 1/2 in bowl. Perfect for lathering. I used it for over a year.

Carbide Mike, Salty Belle and RyX like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Coffee mugs to Old Spice mugs worked OK until I discovered suribachi bowls. Similar size to what @DaltonGang mentioned with textured inside surface. Not really appropriate for the Route66 logo as the sides slope out.

cjw, Carbide Mike and Salty Belle like this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'm more of a bowl user. For me after trying several mugs/bowls, I like the dimensions and shape of the VDH ceramic mug. In fact I found a SS mug(as in I can't drop it and break it) on ebay of the same dimensions and its the only bowl I use.:)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    simms623, tuxxdk and Carbide Mike like this.
  15. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

KIMG0013.jpg I have found Greek yogurt cups suitable, and I use them because the best thing is , No Cleanup. Just toss it when you are finished. !

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  16. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Twice the width and equal the depth of my shaving brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I usually build my lather right on the puck and a few months ago started using these:
    [​IMG]
    Rubbermaid TakeAlongs Twist & Seal Food Storage Containers

They're pretty much the same size as a standard soap puck and the lid keeps the soap well-hydrated.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I pretty much only use mugs for soaking my brush anymore, but my favorite two are both 4" wide, and 3 1/2" deep. They are the very heavy type.

[​IMG]

19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Height about 8 cm with sloping sides upper inner diameter around 13-14cm

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I generally find an Old Spice shaving mug to be a perfect size for Haslinger soap pucks. All my other soaps are in their own containers.

Carbide Mike likes this.