Shave question....

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by atbcrash, Jun 22, 2016.

1. atbcrash

atbcrash Member

So I have been having a little bit of a hard time getting a nice smooth shave. There is no irritation, just many areas that never seem to get smooth. When you shave, do you do it immediately after exiting the shower, do you wait a bit, do you not shower first. Also, do any of you place a damp warm towel on your beard area before shaving?

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Prep is certainly important, but equally important is technique. Watch you angle and let the razor do the work (don't press). Your shaves will steadily improve. And most importantly: enjoy your shave experience.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011: All of that.
    I shave right after getting out of the shower and drying off.

4. swarden43

What gear are you using? Tell us about your routine. We may be able to spot something that we could give you a few pointers about.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Right after my shower. I do not do the warm towel on the face.

6. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Because you said:
    I would argue that this is a technique issue.

:signs011:

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. atbcrash

atbcrash Member

When I get out of the shower, I try not to dry my face. I lather up and let it sit there for a few minutes. I go WTG, XTG, XTG then I spot shave in problem areas. I think I need to map out the hairs on my face better. I have a few spots where the hair seems to swirl, especially on the neck.

8. swarden43

What's your gear?

9. atbcrash

atbcrash Member

I have an old 3 piece tech that I use with Astra SP blades, a cheap badger brush and soap from AOS. My post shave is nivea

10. swarden43

Yup. I'd say more than likely it's your technique. I've used the same set up, the Tech with Astra SP blades, along with AoS soap, and have achieved BBS.
    It may be that the razor/blade combo just doesn't work well for you.
    Many have found the hunt for "the perfect shave" to be part of the fun of all of this!

whiteboy_cannon and Brimy623 like this.
  11. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

My prep is a hot towel followed by lathering up and another hot towel applied over the lather.

Then I lather again and shave with the grain. Lather again shave across the grain. Lather again and shave against the grain. I use mainly straights in a scything similar to a slant.

I do not chase BBS but get very smooth shaves daily. I shower after shaving.

12. atbcrash

atbcrash Member

I have a large assortment of blades coming soon from try a blade. I am suspecting it may be due to my coarse facial hair. I ordered some feather blades to try out.

13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

If your beard is coarse, you may actually have a real need for a more aggressive razor. The fact that you say you have no irritation, but are not smooth, makes me believe you may need a more aggressive setup.

whiteboy_cannon and Carbide Mike like this.
  14. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Having that type of beard myself, that's always my first thought. But I would first ask how long you've been using the Tech. If you've been using it for more than a month (2 or 3 would be even better) then you could start with trying out some shims. I've used as many as 5 in my milder razors (though 3 seems to be the sweet spot).

15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

By the time I get to shaving after my shower, my beard is not very well hydrated. I use a large hot wet washcloth beard soak to re-hydrate, then soap up with Cella or VDH soap. Lately I usually like to shave with one of my Gillette Adj. @6 or 7 or Weber PH, Astra or WS blades, two passes ATG + touch up, rinse cold water then a splash of after shave.