*** SHAVE SCHOOL Master Sticky ***

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Dridecker, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Looking to learn the fine art of wetshaving? This is the place to start, have a look at the links below.

Acronyms & Abbreviations - Lots of shorthand floating around the forum. What the heck does it all mean?

1. Welcome to the Shave School! - Whats it all about? Looking to start wetshaving? This is the place to start.

2. Mantic's Tutorial Videos - Looking for some nice visual aids to help get you started?

3. Shave vids - Even more videos to help you in your journey.

4. Shave School Video 1: How to shave the neck using a safety razor

5. I'm a new wetshaver, which razor should I get? (Pic Heavy) - Here are some time tested recommendations to help you choose, pictures included so you can be sure what you are looking for!

6. The "Which blade is best?" or "I'm new, tell me which blade to buy." thread - An explanation of why that simple question is so hard to answer.

7. Comprehensive Guide to Lathering soaps, creams, shavesticks in a bowl and on the face - A step by step guide to help you get the lather you want.

8. Sources of common beginner problems - So now you have got started wetshaving, but maybe you're having a little trouble? Maybe Leisureguy can help.

9. Blade sample packs - Looking for the blade sample packs people are always recommending?

10. Rolls-stropping your DE blades 101 - Rolls explains how to hand strop a double edge blade.

11. Stop right there, don't buy that! or Shave goods best avoided... - Just trying to help keep you from making the same mistakes many of us have already made.

12. Uncle Albert's Amazing Super Colossal Compendium of Shaving Advice - Some good shaving advice mixed in with a touch of humor.

13. SE / GEM Shaving Tips & Tricks

14. 3pc DE Aggressive Razor Fundamentals - "Riding the cap"

Paul Turner, PanB, Mike-R41 and 3 others like this.
  2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Ooooh, nice work!

3. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Nice job!!!! :1respect:1respect

4. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was just sent to the MANTICS YouTube by another member and learned a lot quickly. Starting with an old but unused Ever-Ready badger brush still in the box from my grandfather, I have been brush shaving for years but not using enough water with the soaps...Crabtree and Evelyn, Williams, Cronks, and now TSD stores offerings. Regards, Doug

5. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

Real good work there

Mike-R41 likes this.
  6. Sky../

Sky../ New Member

Excellent thread. This goes straight to my bookmark.

Mike-R41 likes this.
  7. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Awesome. So many questions...fortunately there are so many answers here.

Mike-R41 likes this.
  8. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Very Good work there. Thank You for your time and effort to put it together for everyone to enjoy and learn.:shaver

Mike-R41 likes this.
  9. GlennHarr

GlennHarr New Member

Real man doing very good work there #Respect

Mike-R41 likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just a bump as it seems like some of the "old" folks here have missed this.

11. Medicus Ille

Medicus Ille New Member

Thanks for putting this all in one place. It takes some of the confusion out of being a beginner. :)

Mike-R41 and Luziana_Geezer like this.
  12. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

I confess that I, too, have been using water too sparingly.

I came to these tutorials/intros in the hopes of finding some sort of lexicon on the topic of shaving. I did find the list of abbreviations very helpful.

I do have a simple question. In browsing the _Time To Toss_ thread, see the term, pass, appearing in several of the posts. I presume the word is used here to describe the process of shaving, then applying more lather and shaving the face a second time (or pass). Do I have that right? If so, why wouldn't the pass be regarded as a second shave?

Here's the thread I spoke of:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/time-to-toss.41683/

13. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

You, sir, would be correct.
    Pass WTG=with the grain
    XTG=across the grain (or from the side)
    ATG=against the grain

14. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  15. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

And here I thought I was almost done reading for the day! (I was up quite late as I'm a new member and I'm soaking in as much info as I can). But not I just opened 4 more links into new pages haha! I'm very thankful for the wealth and quality of information here that I have found compared to a couple other sites that I have seen

Paul Turner and ob1page like this.
  16. Carla999

Carla999 New Member

I'll definitely show this to my brother. He always hurts himself when shaving. Thank you

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And again.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  18. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

I’ve been Traditional WetShaving for 11 months now but I’ve only been regularly shaving once or twice tops a week. I look good with a shaped-up stubble look.. =] that being said before it gets too cold out (I’m from Jersey and it gets cold in the winter) I want to do a focus/30day rule with one different razor each week, or one razor for 2 weeks. I have accumulated these razors so far...
    1930’s Gillette “NEW” LongComb
    1932 Gillette Fat Handle Tech
    1957 Gillette SuperSpeed (Regular)
    1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable
    1969 Gillette Super 109 Adjustable “Black Beauty”
    Late 1960’s early 1970’s ish Gold & Black Schick “Krona”
    Classic Samurai Shavette
    I also had a Muhle R-41 (my first safety razor) but traded it for the slim because I wanted an everyday razor and didn’t have the funds to keep it and buy another unfortunately... Will buy it back again though this time I want to get the 2-Peice lol

All that said, I want to do a focus with the black beauty, Tech, and “NEW” long comb first. Also want to get a feel of witch blades work best for witch razor. I have a bunch of different blades I never got a chance to extensively trial... Along with a few soaps LOL I’ve been slacking in that department!! I have about 16 samples from a recent trade that I want to get into!!