Shave soap vs Razor/blade

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by maxpower, Apr 4, 2009.

1. maxpower

maxpower Member

I started with an Merkur HD, then I went to a Merkur Baberpole Slant. I find with my slant, that I am more picky with the soap I use. I had used some glycerin soaps, MWF, palmolive stick, etc... but when I went with the slant, I almost only use Tabac/IM and AOS.

It is quite possible that my technique with creating soap is sub par (plus I have hard water) and that is why I don't get comfortable shaves with other soaps but I was wondering if anyone else noticed the same thing when using a slant?

Thanks

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

No. But a slant is more aggressive. Tripple milled, hard processed, etc. soaps will give you more cushion than glycerin soaps. Therefore, you prefer them because it gives you better protection and more cushion, allowing you to use the more aggressive razor comfortably. A good glycerine (QED), with a lot of soap on the brush, makes some decently cushioning lather as well I've found.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

You've notice it all interacts. You've found what works for you and what doesn't. Congratulations.

4. lferg

lferg New Member

No I haven't noticed that but I have noticed that shaving my upper lip with a slant, I get eaten alive!