Shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jbcohen, Apr 8, 2009.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

What is the difference between soap and soft soap?
    As far as the base of the soap Susie's bubbles offers a choice of goat milk, olive oil and shea butter. When would I chose one base over the others? Is one base better than the others for a certain type of skin? Is this personal preference? I have never run into this sort of choice of base for soaps.

What are the standards in terms of soap sizes? Are the bowls and mugs specific to the brand of soap? I am aware of the fact that some melt the soaps so that they can fit it into a shave bowl or mug. Do providers sometimes make soaps to specified dimensions so that there products will fit a customer's bowl?

2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Cella is my #1 soap with Arko right behind (so far)

3. Aneurysm

Aneurysm New Member

Williams for me with SCS bay rum as well

4. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Pics please.

5. omegapd

omegapd New Member

of what? :happy102

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Anyone know the answers to my questions?

7. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Pushy, pushy... Good answers take time and you get them faster with a gentle disposition. The whole bees and honey thing. ;)

Lots of questions, here are some answers:

1. I think Susie lists the different attributes for the bases on her site, but if I remember right it goes something like this-
    a. olive oil is the standard base. Good for slickness.
    b. shea butter is more protective, less slick.
    c. goat milk... not sure there.
    Buy with confidence from Susie. She's a good seller and her soaps are excellent quality.

2. soap sizes are all over the place, but most makers fit their pucks to the standard coffee mug size. You could probably get an independent maker (like Susie) to make a custom size for you. Classicshaving.com makes a larger puck to fit some of their extra large mugs. Find a soap you like and then find a bowl or mug that fits. Or melt the puck to fit the container. Your choice.

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Do not ask this of any of the soapmakers.

I pour my soaps into their containers. I could make one without the container, but I nor any other soapmaker can customize dimensions of our soaps.
    If soap doesn't get poured into a container, it gets poured into a mold. And the molds only come in certain dimensions, and aren't cheap.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I know all the answers.. but not gonna tell.

10. omegapd

omegapd New Member

oh, now we're gonna play king of the island? :D

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:happy102:happy102

12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I thought I already had my own island. :confused: Wait a minute, wrong thread...

Whoops! :( Mea culpa, Queen.

13. Queen of Blades

No problem. Just wanted to clue everyone in on the how-to of soap making and such.

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I now offer a new service. If someone needs smaller soap, they can order the full size puck, have it shipped to me, and I will send them one that is half the size! I can do this cheap! :happy102

15. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Of soap! Hell I dont know? I just like pics:D

16. Queen of Blades

:happy097

17. azshaver

azshaver Member

In order, Tabac< MWF,, VDH deluxe

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Well call it the Knotty badger resizing service.....BRILLIANT!!!:D

19. omegapd

omegapd New Member

You like stuff like this?

[​IMG]

:happy102

Believe it or not, a Google Image search for "soap" brings up even worse stuff...

20. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

What are the differences between the bases that Susie offers: Goat milk, olive oil and shea butter? I have seen goat milk before and certainly know what olive oil looks like, but if I had shea butter would I need a glass to hold it in? What color is shea butter typically? I think that if I so desired I could take a butter knife and spread shea butter onto toast if I wanted.