Shave Stick Appreciation

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Robyflexx, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Valobra is a Top Notch Shave Stick Tallow Soap..Same as the Puck Stuff..I Cut Slices off & Use it Like any Other Soap...:D

Billy..:chores016:

AGHisBBS, ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

actually I did just that with my first ever "tub"....well, sort of. I used my fingers to scoop out the later and administer it to my face. I didn't use that for too long, but I blame my lather choice, not the fact that it was a tub.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Y'know, I may just get a Williams lather as my opener. I've seen em in drug stores and supermarkets.

mrchick likes this.
  4. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

Shave sticks. My favorite way to use shaving soap.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. shmuel

shmuel Member

Haven't seen any love for the D.R. Harris sticks. Just as great as their pucks, very convenient for travel. Highly recommended.

DaveL and Robyflexx like this.
  6. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Saturday, SEptember 17, 2016

Doug Korn D-7
    Savionniere Du Moulin
    ATT SE-1 with TRIAD Rolling Hex Titanium
    Feather Pro #1
    Chatillon Lux Colbeck

[​IMG]

clint64, ob1page, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  8. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

It's great to see all of the shaving stick love here! I just joined TSD but have become a shaving stick fanatic over the last few months. I generally alternate every other day between a soap and a stick, just to keep things interesting.

The latest I just got this week was a Tabac stick and I can see why so many people love it. Had my first shave with it this morning & was a little surprised at how thick the lather was. I think I actually over-estimated that lather & rubbed a bit too much on my face and ended up having to water it down a bit.

Other favorites of mine are the Wilkinson Sword, Speick, La Toja and of course Arko. As far as scents go, I'd say La Toja is my favorite stick, but as far as performance goes, Wilkinson Sword seems to give me the best lather, although I want to use my Tabac a few more times and optimize the lather since it was so promising today & a lot of folks seem to like that best. I keep coming back to Arko, though -- it isn't my favorite per se, but there's something about that lather and the comfort I get from the shave that makes me feel like a million bucks!

I will be keeping my eye on this thread for some more ideas, although I have so much soap under my counter right now, it'll be a while before I buy any new ones.

clint64, ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  9. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Those are all great sticks. Some of us are even making our own from regular soaps which perform well. Haslinger makes for an outstanding shave stick. I use empty deodorant containers. :)

ob1page and AGHisBBS like this.
  10. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Love that container.

Jorvaljr and Robyflexx like this.
  11. CliffDweller

You know, that's a great idea. And, I have yet to try Haslinger, so that would be perfect. I am self-embargoed from buying any more product for the time being, but I think that will be my first purchase of 2017!

Do you use like a cheese grater or something similar, and then just mash it down into the container?

ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Robyflexx

No, I just pushed the soap in there with my bare hands. The Haslinger is very pliable. :)

ob1page and AGHisBBS like this.
  13. CliffDweller

Cool, sounds easy enough. Will look forward to giving it a go, and looking forward to trying out Haslinger since everyone raves about it. My current soap obsession is Stirling and I have a bunch of those to work through at the moment. :cool:

14. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Thanks. I like them a lot . I have like 4 of them now.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  15. Robyflexx

Oh, I'm with you! I have a few Stirling's myself. Excellent soaps. The Haslinger is in a league of it's own, it likes water but what you'll be rewarded with is some of the creamiest, slippery, cushiony stuff on earth. :)

ob1page, AGHisBBS and Jorvaljr like this.
  16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Of course if you've seen Rob's hands and arms you might rethink the effort required and choose to grate the soap first. :happy097:

17. Robyflexx

:happy097: Funny stuff buddy! :)

AGHisBBS likes this.
  18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

19. Robyflexx

:happy102: Sure miss my hair though! :)

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I love shave sticks. I admit I have never tried on of the soaps sold in shave stick form. I have always just made my own. I use deodorant containers purchased on Amazon for the purpose. Mystic Water is a great soap and for me works much better in a shave stick. Just today I received an order of Fine Soaps and couldn't help myself. More shave sticks to enjoy.

[​IMG]