Shave with Colgate Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by wchnu, Jul 22, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

This is kind of a spill over from the Williams Mug Shave Soap thread. So how do you feel about Vintage Colgate Soap? Love the Mug,Cup or Barber formula. Are they even different. Let's hear what you think!!

I love the soap! I have mug and barber cakes. I have never had a cake of the cup. I find it easy to lather and a very good shave soap. Like Williams it is a bit of a "Plain Jane"soap. The scent is...well soap I guess.

There are my thoughts. What are yours?

RyX, theFAT98 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I had a puck of the Barbers soap, I believe. Lathered and performed well enough. Hardly any scent at all. I would add a few drops of EO; I gotsta have scent!

RyX and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I wonder if there ever was any scent. Never smelled anything but soap. I have been known to add a drop or three of the days aftershave to the cake before lather time.

RyX, RaZorBurn123 and swarden43 like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm with @swarden43
    Good performance but no scent left behind.

5. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I think Vintage Colgate is an excellent shaving soap. It's plenty slick, and the thick lather gives good skin protection. My cup soap still has a slight Ivory soap smell to it. I think Colgate, and Williams, are very similar.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

theFAT98 likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There you are. I started this after the discussion in the Williams thread. We will see what folks think. By the way that is not a bad scent!

7. chevyguy

Thank you sir. I've always liked the scent, it's a clean soapy scent.

Clayton

8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My guess is that's about the American formulas, which I have never tried. But since men had to use them every day, I fully believe those soaps were excellent for daily use.

I only have experience with the German made sticks, which I believe are still basically the same as the ones produced in the 1960s. I have used them since the mid 1980s, and they pair an excellent performance with a "meh" scent.

RyX likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I think they are much different. The original soaps did not use the palm oil or whatever it is. Maybe that came along when it became a german company. Not sure of the history there. What we are discussing is no where near the same product. The vintage colgate soap is a hard cake not the green palmolive stick of today.

RyX and Eeyore like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It is not german I see. Palmolive with the palm oil was started in 1898. That is interesting. I did not know that. I though it was a regormulation of the colgate soap cake.

Eeyore likes this.
  11. chevyguy

We're Colgate and Palmolive seperate companies at one time?.

Clayton

12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

From Wikipedia: "In 1928, Palmolive-Peet bought the Colgate Company to create the Colgate-Palmolive-Peet Company. In 1953 "Peet" was dropped from the title, leaving only "Colgate-Palmolive Company", the current name."

13. chevyguy

Thank you John.

Clayton

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am still confused as to when the palmolive shave stick came along...and how closely it is related to the currently produced one.

15. chevyguy

From what I could find on Google the Palmolive Shave Stick came along about 1915.

Clayton

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

More then I found. The current one is not bad at all.

17. chevyguy

I used my last one up about a year ago. It does make a good lather. I ought to get another one, along with a tube of the cream.

Clayton

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I might turn one of my vintage colgate cakes into a shave stick. Might be fun.

19. chevyguy

Yeah it would, I think it would be better than the green Palmolive stick.

Clayton

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree. That is why I wonder how the new stick compares to the original. I think a new thread is in order.