Shave with Colgate Shave Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by wchnu, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Triplemilled

Triplemilled Member

I have a few pucks of the mug soap and I haven't given it much of a chance but when I did try to shave with it it didn't lather well so I moved onto something that worked that day. I haven't tried shaving with it since. Maybe it's time to revisit this soap and give it another go. Mine actually still has a little scent left to it and it smells like Williams to me.

2. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I have a vintage Colgate stick from Sweden. I've used it a couple of times but I keep it more as a collector's item than anything else. Its scent is mild, but still there and very pleasant.

Paul Turner likes this.
  3. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

How is the soap stick?. All the one's I've seen that were vintage were unusable.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

4. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The one I have is excellent.

5. chevyguy

Soak the puck, it's like Williams and like's water. And lather it like you hate it so you get a good load on your brush. Try bowl lathering it if face lathering isn't working for you.

Clayton

RyX likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

But unlike Williams it won't do a disappearing act on you and it doesn't smell like skeeter-be-gone! :p

RyX likes this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup give it a try. I have never had issues getting a lather. If you want send it to me and I will proof test it for you. Lol.

You blooming guys...sheesh. No need to bloom a soap. The damp brush will do fine.

I saw that....:transport024:

RyX and swarden43 like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Today was an outstanding shave with Colgate Cup soap. Not sure how old it is, but seems like it came before the Mug soap.[​IMG]

RyX likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I picked up a NIB vintage Colgate Cup Soap. Not sure how old, but it was marked at 15¢. The first time I tried to load a brush from the puck it was very dry. After hydrating the puck in the pictured tin it loaded much easier. Very little scent, but a decent lather!
    Colgate Cup Soap $0.15.gif

jtspartan likes this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Veddy nice. I love the lather. I need to use mine more.

RyX likes this.
  11. chevyguy

I haven't used my Colgate Mug Soap since last Summer. It does make a very nice lather. I've been trying to use up some of my other soaps, and creams. I don't have a lot maybe 12 soaps, and nine creams. I would like to get it down to a couple soaps since I use them more.

Clayton

RyX likes this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I bet I have 30 different soaps and creams...maybe more. I do not want to get rid of any though. Lol. I do enjoy the 3 types of Colgate though.

RyX likes this.
  13. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I preferred the Colgate to Williams,when it was in production.Many people could not get a good lather out of it I could though.One had more glide than the other ,one had more cushion both are somewhat drying.I did grind a bit of each together which resulted in a decent soap.I also chopped up a partial puck of Colgate and added it to a small cup that I had melted some Pears soap in,let it cool.It made a pretty darn good shave soap.

RyX likes this.
  14. chevyguy

My Colgate Mug Soap is stamped as being Cup Soap on the puck. Must have been around the time that they redesigned the box label because it reads that it's mug soap.

Clayton

RyX likes this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Do you remember when they stopped making it?

I can really not tell a difference in them.

16. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I think it was the early 2000's,maybe around 2008 -2010.I grabbed the last 2 at my drugstore and when they reordered for me Williams came in.I picked up a few more here and there and I still have a couple in the back of the cabinet

RyX likes this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That sounds right. I have 7 or 8 of the barbershop and I think as many mug soaps statched away.

RyX likes this.
  18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I have only tried the mug soap, which I find to be a pretty good soap. When worked with enough water, it is slick with plenty of cushion. I have never tried a vintage puck of Williams, so I can't compare, but I do like the Colgate better than the current version of Williams.

RyX likes this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I think if more people tried the Colgate it would get a lot harder to find. Lol. As for the Williams vers Colgate I will still take modern Williams. Buttttt I am biased.

Norcalnewb and RyX like this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hey Jeff some how I missed this. Do you know when that stick was made? I don't think I knew it was ever made is sweden...any pictures we can see??

RyX likes this.