shave with Williams Mug shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by wchnu, Mar 24, 2017.

1. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Just did a test lather with the Colgate and found it to be really slick, and dense. By that I mean it had a ton of cushion. My face felt great after I rinsed it off, I really didn't need a balm or anything but I put on some Skinbracer. I didn't to shave today but you can bet I'll be using this soap tomorrow when I do. I would guess this to be a vintage puck of Colgate that got put in one of the newer boxes. They need to start making this soap again.

[​IMG]

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Paul Turner, AGHisBBS and SpeedyPC like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The colgate is a good soap what ever the vintage.

Paul Turner and AGHisBBS like this.
  3. chevyguy

I've been wanting to try these, they aren't cheap. All I've got are vintage personnas. They aren't bad blades.

Clayton

wchnu likes this.
  4. chevyguy

My Grandpa gave me my first box, and it's what he used most of the time. It's an awesome soap.

Clayton

Paul Turner and Primotenore like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Almost as good as Williams.

6. chevyguy

Pretty damn close.

Clayton

wchnu likes this.
  7. chevyguy

After my comfortable/smooth 99.9% bbs shave yesterday with the
    Colgate I've got to again say one thing. Colgate, and Williams, need to start making their vintage shaving soap formulations once again. I really enjoyed my 3 pass shave yesterday. I followed it up with a splash of Aqua Velva Ice Blue.

Clayton

Primotenore likes this.
  8. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

That assumes they CAN. While not shaving related, a number of years ago I had to try to re-formulate an ink my employer sold. The problem was that some of the ingredients in the original ink were simply no longer available. Using the original formula was not possible. Could that be the case with soaps as well?

9. chevyguy

I never thought of that. Always figured the reformulation was about saving money.

Clayton

10. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

It may have been about money. I have no idea. I just know I've seen chemicals forced off the market for safety reasons, or for scarcity.
    I'd love to see Williams go back to the classic formula. Never had a chance to try it.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is an interesting thought. Maybe someone more into that kind of stuff can look at the contents of the vintage and see if it can be done.

At one time a soap maker here created a clone she called Walters Soap. I never got to try it. It was her mix of the old formula. When I came back to Tha Den after an extended vacation she was out of business. These days people want more cramed into a soap. Stuff to make it lather up mounds of subs and such. I am not sure how a simple soap would fair. Even though the truth is you do not need mounds of lather to get great shaves.

12. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I have one soap that has the simplest ingredient list ever it's Steric Acid, Water, Coconut oil, Lye, and fragrance. It has a pretty decent performance too though the brand isn't so well loved in the online world. It's still a decent performer for me though falling on the high middle of my rotation. It's Blades Grim Smolder by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You have your head on straighter then most though!!! Bully!!

14. chevyguy

That was Chrissy that made Walter ' s Soap. She made some good soap. My dad's mom made lye soap when he was a kid. They used it for bathing, shaving, and laundry, and just about everything else they could think of. It had tallow in it too. They saved the fat trimmings whenever they butchered an animal. My dad told me once that the soap that we buy at the store doesn't even come close to being like your grandma's. I wish that I could have tried it.

Clayton

PLAla likes this.
  15. chevyguy

The soapmaker that makes Maggards house branded soaps makes this. It's good soap. If one of our soapmakers made a basic tallow soap like vintage Williams and scented it like Aqua Velva Ice Blue it would sell like hot cakes.

Clayton

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That was her yes. I am sadly almost out of her soaps.

17. chevyguy

I hope she is doing ok, she was dealing with some serious health issues at home and was having trouble getting soap orders out to people.

Clayton

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I do too. She was around TOST for a bit.

19. chevyguy

I think she was the first soapmaker to do a tallow shaving soap. Everyone else did melt and pour soaps.

Clayton

wchnu likes this.
  20. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Another divisive one sometimes but PAA makes a soap in their Crown King formulation called Sacre Blu that is a recreation of vintage AV. It's not tallow based but the CK formulation does have the best post shave feel of any veggie soap I've ever used.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

wchnu likes this.