shave with Williams Mug shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by wchnu, Mar 24, 2017.

1. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I might give this ago soon because my brother still doesn't know the secret on how to used the Williams Mug shaving soaps, because he keeps on doing this the hard way as he still doesn't know. He becoming a bloody sore loser very soon :p

wchnu likes this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Get him straight Speedy. Gotta spread the Williams love LOL

SpeedyPC and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I have loaded it, grated it, hydrated it, over hydrated it, and used it as a Shave Stick. Stick was best results, not great lather, but very slick and decent shave. I wish it would work, I like the scent just fine.

BlaydRunner and Jim99 like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I love mine I made into a shave stick. I keep it in a old Williams shave stick holder.

I had a fight with the williams tonight. Was doing another video. This one with the ER lather catcher. I was running my mouth and started with very much to wet of a brush. I should have stopped and restarted. I did not thought. I had to relather the side of my face and you can see I blew the lather up. Good shave though. I do not remember the laat time I blew it up that bad. No doubt a technique lapse.

Bama Samurai and Jim99 like this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

My experience has been quite the opposite. Using a boar brush and soaking while showering, and lathering it vigorously, the lather would turn thin and then disappear quickly on my face. I've had a latter generation synthetic brush, an H.I.S. 1865, for maybe 3 years that significantly outperforms any of the boars I had, but had not tried Williams with it until a couple of weeks ago. What a difference! Soaking while showering, loading the brush somewhat vigorously and face lathering, the lather was thick enough and didn't disappear! Plus, it delivered an excellent shave.

ninjack likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Southwest North? Oh the North is a STATE!!!!! (the stomach flu does things to us).

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The Nawth is that vast mostly waste land above the Mason Dixon line.

PickledNorthern and BamaT like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sounds awesome! Sometimes the hunt for what works is the best part.

SpeedyPC and BamaT like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'll be trying a Williams soap/Aqua Velva AS combination this summer, just as is suggested inside the Williams box.

Bama Samurai and ninjack like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

All part of my signature shave. Bet you love it.

Paul Turner likes this.
  11. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@wchnu here comes your grandma giving you a big surprise for setting up your signature :p

[​IMG]

ninjack and Jim99 like this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Much to early for that...sheesh. Pretty blue eyes though....

Bama Samurai and Jim99 like this.
  13. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Williams is really good stuff.
    I recently added a well used puck of Williams to some melted Col Conk AMBER shave soap. Great improvement to the Col Conk- both in terms of the quality of lather and the scent.

I'm a fan of Williams Mug shave soap.

14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Yikes!

I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is an understatement..........

16. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I found that pre-soaking my williams helped a lot. Not just the shower part, but putting just enough water on top of the puck (in the mug) to barely cover the dished surface every day, if I wasn't using the soap. Then, if I was going to use it that day, start the shower, cover the soap with water, shower, pour out the excess water, and lather with a reasonably wet brush. That gives me a good solid lather that _works_. It doesn't look like the huge pile of yogurt that some people think is necessary, but it's slick, lasting, and, well, shaves well :)

Whatever their current formula might be - it needs to be an 'every day' soap, so it doesn't dry out.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A lot of people like to soak the cake before use. What ever works I say.

Paul Turner likes this.
  18. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I keep my shave soap in a mug. Fill the mug with hot water, rinse the brush under hot water and plop it in the mug with the soap & hot water.

Let the brush and soap "bloom".
    Then take out the brush and pour the bloom water into your cupped hands to apply the soapy water to your face as a preshave. Very slick.

Load brush & face lather.

Works great. YMMV

BlaydRunner, wchnu and COMPNOR like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

i grated 2 pucks of williams and mixed in a puck of edwin jagger sandalwood soap into an old coffee mug.works excellent.williams has worked for millions.

BlaydRunner likes this.
  20. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I agree if you want a challenge in wet shavings Williams is tops. If your lazy like me and want to go the easy way go Arko.