shave with Williams Mug shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by wchnu, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I think it goes for $1.09 a puck at my local supermarket. I don't know of another soap that costs so little. I didn't find the soap drying, but I'm sure I'll be able to better tell after a week of use. I have municipal water, so I'm not sure how mush hard water impacts the lather.

twhite likes this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Hey Tom, where did you get that picture of me?

:happy102:

mrchick and twhite like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

AWESOME!!! Welcome to the club. I guess I need to start the club here like I did across the street.

Egggzacally. As I have said before elsewhere the Williams and AV are perfect together. That is why they are a part of my Signature shave.

Thank you. They are fun to make.

I grew up with a well and softner. I have also lived at a camp the bayou with a well and softner. Williams has always worked well for me. I hope that you try it and it goes well. Let me know if you can not acquire a cake of it.

Paul Turner, Jim99 and twhite like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I ahhhhhh.... yeah I got nothing.

Jim99, mrchick and twhite like this.
  5. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

There is a grocery store about 25 miles from me that carries it. I'll be down that way next week and will stop by and pick up a puck.

wchnu likes this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I used it again this morning and had good results.

It's a thirsty soap and takes a bit more water than others. It takes a bit more work and a stiff brush to get the lather going, but nothing really troublesome nor time consuming. I used a soft synthetic brush this morning and it just took another 20 seconds than normal to whip up a lather.
    I still can't detect a scent from the soap.

All things considered, it's a decent enough soap. Factor in the price and convenience (it's in the local stores by me), and Williams might very well be a winner.

BlaydRunner and PickledNorthern like this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have wanted to love Williams, but I just can't. I can get it to lather up great, but it disapates so quickly and it is just not as protective for me. In full disclosure I am chasing the baby more times than not.

Jim99 likes this.
  8. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

A while back I posted a couple of pics of a Williams lather. I learned to shave using it. Here is the pic of the lather I quickly worked up. No soaking the puck which had been sitting uncovered in a mug in my medicine cabinet.
    IMG_1653.JPG
    This next pic shows what I had after letting it sit on the counter while I walked away for 25 minutes. As you can see I didn't have a dissipation problem.
    IMG_1654.JPG

I could be satisfied with Williams if that was all that was available, but I enjoy the scent of so many others that I rarely use it unless I'm feeling nostalgic for my Grandfather.

9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

@emorris357, I don't know what I'm doing different from you, but I face lather into a great lather. Put in a new blade and rinse my hands and it disapates so much I have to re-lather.

10. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I've always found Williams works better in a bowl. Slowly working in water a little at a time helps build a more stable lather.

MR41 likes this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Williams Alert!!! Williams Alert!!!

For those of you living in The Great Garden State (New Jersey) or within spitting distance of a Shop Rite supermarket....

You can get a puck of Williams shave soap for 59 cents! Yes! You read that right! For a limited time only, a puck of Williams costs only 59 cents!

Come and get them while they last!

12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is about what I do with face lathering it. Add a touch or water by just wetting the tips of the brush. It builds nicely then. When I rush it zi blow it up. But even when it looks thin it's there. Nice and slick.
    Awesome!!!

14. Sammy1

Sammy1 Active Member

I posted this a few weeks ago, maybe another forum, It was Shop-rite in Bethlehem Pa. Great deal, seemed to me as they won't be selling it there anymore.

Jim99 likes this.
  15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The sign on the shelf said "while supplies last".

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

AND TOMORROW IS WILLIAMS WEDNESDAY! !!! Just saying. I already have a 2 day old PAL in a 1915 Kampfe Bro's/Star ready to go with Williams a boar brush and Aqua Velva Ice Blue. Today's shave is just not that exciting LOL

Jim99, Paul Turner and Primotenore like this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am in for Williams Wednesday. VINTAGE Williams Wednesday, that is. (If tallow ain't the first ingredient, it ain't my Williams) :)

BlaydRunner, Jim99 and Paul Turner like this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I love it all. But I am in for vintage tomorrow. In a Old Foley scuttle no less.

BlaydRunner, Jim99 and Primotenore like this.
  19. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

I can't believe the price[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlaydRunner, MR41, takumar and 2 others like this.
  20. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Mbg75 buy all of them off the shelf now :p because you saw it first ;)

Jim99 likes this.