shave with Williams Mug shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by wchnu, Mar 24, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

But it is quiet.

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Always!

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I recall being able to hear my own echo quite often during summer vacations out there.

4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I think I prefer Tennessee or West Virginia. Mountains you can _live_ on. (Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway is a fantastic way to spend a day)

BamaT likes this.
  5. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

So, I decided not to wait for Wednesday and pulled out the Williams for today's shave. It was a very nice shave.

6. Bama Samurai

We have those here too. They are called "hills". I grew up in the Appalachian terminus foothills in Alabama, know exactly what you mean.

dkeester likes this.
  7. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Why 1924? That's only 93 years ago. Williams Mug Shaving soap claims "since 1840."
    That's 177 years! Wow.
    And Aqua Velva says "100th Anniversary".

crackstar and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Classic USA drug store products!

crackstar and EnglishChannel like this.
  9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I don't know how you guys master the lathering technique with Williams. No matter how hard I try it just doesn't work worth a darn!

10. Bookworm

1) Williams requires water. Soaking the puck before using it helps a lot.
    2) Williams seems to be designed to lather on the puck - which makes sense, as it's a 'mug soap'.
    3) Don't worry about making yogurt. Slickness is what you want.

crackstar likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

I face lather it from a loaded brush. I've found soaking the puck is absolutely unnecessary. It only takes a tablespoon of water or so, with a bit more added into the knot.

12. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

The secret is it's not like a usual lather it helps to have a dryer brush and a little bloom water on the puck the lather might dissapate a little bit there will be plenty of cushion protection and slickness which is what really matters

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

crackstar likes this.
  13. LevelupShaves

Oh and a thicker brush like a boar brush seems to work better as well.

14. Bookworm

This I wouldn't know about. I've only used boar.

15. Bama Samurai

Synthetic is best in my experience and practice.

crackstar likes this.
  16. LevelupShaves

Funny enough my satin tip purest my favorite brush but it was the cheap boar VDH brush at the grocery store that seems to really work best with this soap

17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

18. Bookworm

That's the one I use! Soak the soap slightly, at least if it's been sitting for more than a couple of days, squeeze the brush lightly, and go to town on the soap.

crackstar and LevelupShaves like this.
  19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Successful shave with Williams this morning. I soaked the soap and boar brush while showering. Then I squeezed the brush as dry as I could before beginning to load. Then I loaded and loaded and loaded, slowly adding water from the faucet at the top of the knot and letting it run down through the bristles. More loading and more loading. Then I switched over to bowl lathering. Some vigorous swirls and a little more water yielded TONS of stable, creamy, nice lather.

Applied to the face and shaved. The lather was completely stable - no degradation or dissipation at all. This is the best Williams lather I've gotten.

As @Bama Samurai said recently - Williams Wednesday might become a thing.

SOTD 5-24-17.JPG

MR41, Primotenore, dkeester and 2 others like this.
  20. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

Happy Williams Wednesday.

Today I uber-lathered some modern Williams and had a great shave. I am not sure the added glycerin was necessary, but it did enhance the post-shave feel a bit. I was going to splash on some AV Ice Sport afterwards, but the Florida Water called to me. I have a three pass, full-on BBS and I smell great.

It is going to be a good Wednesday.

SpeedyPC and PLAla like this.