Shavemac D01?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BaylorGator, Mar 2, 2018.

1. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I’ve got a lot of good quality badger brushes that I enjoy, but the one brand of knot missing from the collection is the Shavemac. My favorites are often 2 band brushes as they are a great mix of softness and backbone. I’ve done all my research on the shavemacs, and I’m considering a two band D01. Anyone have any thoughts, experience, or opinions on this knot? Any other knots that are similar to compare it to?

2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I've had both a 3 band and a 2 band in the DO1. Both have been in flat tops. Look on page 2 for "making a flat top brush". Loft will be critical with knot design (flat top, bulb, fan) as far as feel goes. This probably won't make sense but a DO1 2 band is a little bit more 2 band than most of the other 2 bands available. I have used all of Shavemac's hair types.

BaylorGator likes this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have 3 Shaveamac brushes, finest bulb, D01 3 band bulb and D01 2 band flat top. D01 2 bands are an acquired taste and are really not comparable to most other 2 band brushes. Many people find that level of backbone and scrub to be more than they want. Then you get into the variations of hair types from batch to batch. My D01 3 band has more scrub and scritch than my D01 2 band from a different batch. I would suggest emailing Shavemac and telling them what you want the knot to feel like and get their input.

4. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Thanks, Clint!

clint64 likes this.
  5. jar

jar Well-Known Member

My Shavemac is a D01 Silvertip 26mm with a 48mm loft flat top.

[​IMG]

Jorvaljr likes this.
  6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Thanks Clint, you said "clearly" what I was attempting to say. A 2 band Thater it is not.

7. Biglou

Biglou Active Member

So I am about to pull the trigger on the Shavemac Americana D01 2 Band. I noticed the off the shelf version it has a 24mm knot with a 48mm loft. This being my first “real” brush I was considering to have it custom made by changing the dimensions a bit. One of the things I’ve heard is it’s better to have a loft to knot ratio less than 2:1. What are your thoughts on it’s shelf specs and if you were to custom it what would you change out of curiosity?

Douglas Carey and Keithmax like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I did that with a D01 and regretted it. Do1 hair is like boar hair and if you set at less than a 2:1 ratio it will have a lot of backbone and be very stiff.

Primotenore and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

This sounds about right. My Shavmac is set to their standard 2 Band. Works great for me.

Primotenore likes this.
  10. Biglou

Biglou Active Member

For those that have used the DO1 2 Band, do you prefer the feel over a Simpson or Kent?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey likes this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Neither, Shavmac is a better brush IMO.

Biglou likes this.
  12. Biglou

Biglou Active Member

W)hat are your thoughts on the the D01 2 Band vs the D01 (3 Banded)?

Debating on ordering the Americana as is or custom ordering the American base with a regular D01 (3 Band)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk