Shavemac VS. H.L.Thater

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BigMark83, Aug 15, 2017.

?

Which brand ?

Poll closed Aug 29, 2017.
  1. Shavemac

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. H.L.Thater

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

If I decide to purchase a high end badger who would you recommend ? I know Shavemac will custom make you a brush but that can be pricey. I'd like a 24-26 MM silvertip. Preferably under 200 clams.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can go far wrong with either but I voted Thater since I could not choose both. Try rephrasing the question to "Which should I buy first?"

Bobcat, Nate.H01 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I don't know anything about Thater, but I have had my Shavemac for over a year and a half and it has been my daily driver since day one. All other brushes have been removed from the den. The Shavemac has yet to lose a hair.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Shavemac, only because if I'm spending the big bucks, I'd want custom.

BigMark83, alfredus and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Either way you are winning! The Shavemac got my vote.

6. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

:signs011:

But just to be clear: it is not (only) about the handle choice, it is more about knot shape and loft

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Knot shape isn't a deal breaker for me. Bulb or fan, doesn't matter. Knot size is 22mm preferred, but I'll go +/- 2mm. Loft... can't say any of my brushes are overly floppy and I have no idea of their loft. Guess I'm okay with factory set up.

8. cegadede

cegadede Member

If you don't like floppy, avoid thater brushes

Enviado de meu Moto Z2 Play usando Tapatalk

BigMark83 likes this.
  9. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Say I end up purchasing a Shavemac, what is a good loft for a 26 mm and what is a good loft for a 24 mm Silvertip ? I want enough backbone to lather hard soaps and to head lather. I want to try more hard soaps in the future.

Keithmax likes this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Both brands are excellent. I usually go for 2x the knot size but I don't like allot of backbone. I find even at this ratio I can lather soaps. You may want to go for 2x - 1 or 2mm.

11. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I've used every knot that Shavemac makes plus a Thather ST and 2 band. The Thater ST was a fan and the 2 band a bulb. The Thater was 2 band was out of spec loft wise so I reset the knot in a new handle at what I considered the correct loft and have been very pleased with it. I would say I prefer Shavemac overall.

12. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have these two brushes in my collection. On the left is a Badger and Blade 2014 LE (43/50) made by Rudy Vey and has a Shavemac D-01 2-Band Knot. On the right is a The Shave Nook 5th Anniversary Funf LE and has a Thater Knot. Both are bulbs. Both are good for bowl and face lathering with cream, hard, and soft soaps. Both have wonderfully soft tips with a good backbone. Both are excellent and it would be very difficult for me to rank one better than the other. I have these because I have been acquiring only LE brushes the past few years and am not sure I would have otherwise purchased a Shavemac or Thater brush/knot due to the cost. All I can say is both are fantastic knots and I am sure you will not go wrong whatever your decision.

TS Brush.jpg

Keithmax likes this.