Shaves per blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kojak, Aug 12, 2010.

?

For daily shavers that shave once a day, how many days on average do you use a blade?

1. 1 Day

2.8%
  2. 2 Days

3.9%
  3. 3 Days

33.9%
  4. 4 Days

22.2%
  5. 5 Days

16.1%
  6. 6 Days

3.9%
  7. 1 Week

10.6%
  8. Between 1-2 Weeks

3.9%
  9. 2 weeks or greater

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Change blades? I'm still using the one that came with my razor!

2.8%
  1. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I've gotten as few as 3 and as many as 8 with DE blades.
    I've gotten about 15 with a Personna Injector blade. I quit counting after 12.
    I get 3 fantastic shaves with Treet SE carbon steel. I haven't had good luck with Pella SE ASR stainless blades so far. Too bad, since I bought 200 of them in a group buy on another forum.

As far as the Muhle head, I get fantastic shaves with Racer blades from Lord, provided I use them in my Edwin Jagger DE87. My Gillettes don't seem to like them.

2. Arizona Dream

Arizona Dream New Member

usually change my blade (Gillette Fusion) every 3-4 shaves:rolleyes:

3. Kojak

Kojak New Member

Damn, you must be rich! What is a Fusion cartridge these days, $3.5 to $4 a cartridge?

That is like $35 to $40 bucks a month on cartridges. I bought about a years worth of DE blades recently for under $10. I could have one hell of a Razor collection for what you are spending on razor cartridges annually.

4. Ahahahahah ... no no, I usually do it 4-5 with a recharge shavings, because 'when the lubricating strip and' consumed must throw! I usually shave three times a week. here in Italy the Gillette Fusion 4 refills cost an average of about 15.00 euros, but 'the product' really good ...

5. digitalxni

digitalxni New Member

So how often would people normally change a cartridge? I never really used to shave everyday and a cartridge would last me ages. Basically chucked it when the lubricant strip was pretty much gone!

How many blades is that in total and how much did you pay per blade? Also, where did you get that great deal from?!

6. Kojak

Kojak New Member

The deal was on Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades, quantity 100 with free shipping $8.95 but they went up on the price and it is $9.85 and free shipping. It is still one of the best deals around.

Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013RZ2ZM/ref=oss_product

7. digitalxni

digitalxni New Member

8. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

Heavy beard, sensitive skin...can only get one shave out of a blade before I have to toss it...using any blade twice totally rips up my face...

9. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

10. wapper

wapper New Member

Shaves per blade.

Going through my first sampler pack for westcoast shaving, using one blade once in each of my three razors - Gillette Red Tip, Fat Boy, and a 60's Super Speed. The winner so far are the IP's.

11. Glad I found this poll I just started using a de from a Fusion and since I started shaving my head everyday sometimes 2x a day Fusion blades aren't making it more than 2 days. And I feel like I am raking the yard with them. My new razor came with 10 merkur so I need to find a favorite de blade. a fusion cartridge a day was killing me. I just threw it away today. As an update to my post I have realized that the merkur blades that came with my Progress are only good for a day too. Wish I realized that before I tried to squeeze day two out of one. I did it but it took twice the time and passes. So I am still saying one day. I shave my head too the and its not so small I've been told. lol

12. dmyers

dmyers Member

Have no problem getting 7 days of shaving using Shark Blades and mind you this is a 3 pass shave each time.

13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I usually get 3 days out of most blades, and 4 days out of a few. The Gillette 7 O'clock black wrapper blades last me for 14 days, though.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

3 days. I cannot get a blade to last any longer, because of my very heavy, tough beard.

15. The Doctor

The Doctor New Member

3 days for me. I shave 6 days a week, letting my skin rest on Sunday. I use 2 blades a week. Works out pretty well with mid to low priced blades. I try to stretch the more expensive blades (like Feathers).

16. chadstar

chadstar Member

I usually go 4 but i have recently learned about hand stropping so hope to get a few more.

17. Goodknightbri

Goodknightbri New Member

I know it's time to switch when it pulls the hairs out like a tweezer. :eek:

18. jmollica

jmollica New Member

to change or not to change...

I am new to wet shaving, and i rec'd advice to change every 3 days or so. I find some blades i can't wait to get out of the razor before the first shave is done! I am slowly getting through my sample pack though, and I have used some 5 times. My average is probably 3-4 days. I hope I can find a blade that will last a week and not feel like the hairs are getting cut out with a butter knife!
    thanks!

19. Schnitter

Schnitter Member

For me it is depending on the blade. I try to use it for a week. Then i change the razor and use a new blade. With red Personna and ASTRA SP no problem.

20. pelotonjon

pelotonjon New Member

3 shaves per blade.