Shavette Newbie

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 9nein9, Feb 27, 2018.

1. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Hi everyone
    Starting this thread today as I will be learning the shavette for the month of March. I will post my progress on here and probably be asking questions. Feel free to comment.
    I joined TSD on Jan 23/2018 and have done a 30 day DE rule , broke into SE after that 15197538052030.jpg and now will be jumping on a new pogo stick for March.
    My weapons of choice will be none other than the Luxor Pro loaded with Gillette silver blues compliments of @Bama Samurai

Disclaimer....Band Aids not included, I am of sound mind and body...... Patrick

2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Yeah Buddy!!

3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Ol Bama is quite the recruiter for the fixed blade. Kudos to both of you :happy088:

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

No band aids? It's cause we win all the time. Thus is gonna be fun, and you're gonna love it. I will be here daily shave or not, and will be posting and reading along. Always, more than happy to help with Shavette! It's my fave....

danbuter, RyX, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  5. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I'm screwed cause I'm allergic to the adhesives on them . But I did sew a friend's head up one night with a travel sewing kit at 3am...long story.
    I will definitely take my time and respect the tool even after I get it tamed .

6. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:hooray:

9nein9 likes this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Gettttttt ittttttttttt!!!!!!! You Sir may proceed along the path. Soon you can pick any razor up and make it give a good shave.

**this is assuming the razor is not damaged and the blade is sharp. I should not have to mention that but trust me it saves reading a bunch of silly post...just saying.

RyX, sdguero and 9nein9 like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Allergic to GSB? OK.

Good news.

Any DE Blade will do.. Move on to next.

jason koonce and 9nein9 like this.
  10. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Not the GSB but the adhesives on Band Aids lol

Pilotcld and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good luck with your 30 day challenge. I will be checking in. Here is to "no blood loss."

12. Bama Samurai

My kit for March. [​IMG]

13. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I haven’t fallen off the face of the planet quite yet! I have been meditating prior to March starting haha. I will post what my shave kit will look like for March! I have to keep mine travel friendly as I will be working all month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danbuter, Keithmax, RyX and 4 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

We know you're a busy guy... Just update when you can. We'll be here!

9nein9 and Pilotcld like this.
  15. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Are we going to each do a separate March Madness post? Or will there be a group post as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai and 9nein9 like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

I am gonna post in the March 30DC regular thread as a participant writer, here I will post as advocate/advisor to @9nein9 as he learns this with us.

Basically, it's like everything else... Whatever seems fun to you!

RyX, Edison Carter and 9nein9 like this.
  17. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I have the Luxor upstairs waiting. Soon as I get things settled in I will be taking my first shave . Will post results later tonight.

18. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Aaaaahh . Cool avatar sensei Bama .

RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  19. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I have first pass WTG finished . Stopped , muted tv, cell phone which started ringing immediately after blade touched my face . Should I do another wtg or ATG next? I'm using an unorthodox kinda grip but it's comfortable and it's working. Chose a bay rum soap by the Copper Hat . Smells good and is relaxing. May stick to this one for the month. Ps . No cuts yet

20. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Ok . I struggled through this and got a decent shave out of it . Getting the proper angles was not bad but getting used to grip was a bit frustrating for second and third passes .
    I was going slow and the soap was drying up so I was doing alot of lathering and relathering .
    Overall I'd say it was pretty good for my first try . No nicks or cuts but still a bit sandpapery on the neck area as it's difficult to get the angle there .
    The WH gave some feedback as did the AS . I'll call this one a success.

Tonight's gear....
    Luxor Pro
    Gillette SB blade
    JR #29
    The Copper Hat bay rum ...aaaaahh
    Dickinsons WH
    Gillette AS

15198704562810.jpg