Shavette Newbie

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 9nein9, Feb 27, 2018.

1. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I'm going WTG first pass then across for second pass followed by a cleanup here and there. Biggest issue is around jawline. I'm stretching but not getting it all yet . I also understand that in time it will come like the DE did.

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

For jaw- reach over head with off hand, pull cheek upward and slightly back. This will move the problem area to the flat of the jawbone.

3. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I'm doing that on first pass but it's not taking all the hair. I can't seem to follow jaw line from ear to chin like I do with the DE. I could go against the grain but not liking that idea yet

4. Bama Samurai

Don't judge pass one. It's messing up your expectation versus reality.

5. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Should I stay wtg for pass 2 ? Seems like pass 1 doesn't cut much hair at all and I usually shave upward on next pass which is an ATG pass but it's difficult with the shavette.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2018
  6. Bama Samurai

Why not? Honestly I do ATG. But, I can get a really nive shave with just two WTG passes and hard stretches.

sdguero and Edison Carter like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am a four pass shaver, not matter what tool I use. WTG, XTG, XTG opposite direction and finally ATG. I don't get a lot of reduction with the WTG pass, if I go to the ATG pass before doing sufficient beard reduction it is :angry019:. If I get the reduction done enough then I am set up for easy and close ATG pass.

It took me a while before I worked up to 4 passes. It takes a number of shaves to be proficient with an open blade, keep at it and soon you will have it down pat.

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It doesn’t hurt anything if you have the time. When I was breaking out on shavette, I started doing two WTG passes just to get as much reduction as I could before I went ATG. Now I do a WTG, a sort of WTG/XTG modified combo, ATG, and a pretty thorough cleanup pass.

Keithmax, sdguero, 9nein9 and 2 others like this.
  9. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Thanks guys . That's great advice there and I can see what yous all mean about reducing the hair gradually. I think I'm trying to get the shave done in 2 passes like I do with the DE and SE to reduce irritation. Like Chris said I'm concentrating too much on first pass not taking as much as I want.
    I'm getting more comfortable with my grip and learning where to stretch and how much stretch I need. Bit more learning curve with the shavette but I'm enjoying it more and more every shave .

Keithmax, sdguero, danbuter and 3 others like this.
  10. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Since my last post here the shaves are improving greatly. I've been doing daily shaves usually late at night ( when it's quiet) but had to take last night off as I developed a pounding headache and a slight fever . My daughter had this last week so it was only a matter of time before I got it .
    Right now my face feels like it could sand 30 coats of paint off the old fence and it's only a days growth. If I stop sneezing long enough this morning I'm going to whip up a good face lather and get things smoothed out . Have a great day everyone.

11. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Best wishes for a speedy recovery my friend

9nein9 likes this.
  12. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Thank you Bill.

Bama Samurai and Edison Carter like this.
  13. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Good luck.Lots of Vit C,garlic,zinc will help.

Keithmax, 9nein9 and Edison Carter like this.
  14. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Just did another great shave . Wasn't too shaky but I did leave a nice little line on my cheek and one by my ear. New blade today and these look like maybe where I set down . Didn't bleed and I didn't really notice them until I was putting the WH on . Oh well, I'll call this one 95% success as it was a 2 wtg pass with a light touch up on my neck . I'm not feeling 100% today myself but felt the need to shave . Have a good day gentlemen.

15. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I'm putting the vitamins to me and getting rest . Thanks

Keithmax and Bama Samurai like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

It's that time of winter....sorry to hear that.

Keithmax and 9nein9 like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

I've been doing the thing....

IMG_1534.JPG

Keithmax, sdguero and 9nein9 like this.
  18. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Someday I'm going to try the Veg...someday .

19. Bama Samurai

I'll send some with the bullet.

9nein9 and Edison Carter like this.
  20. PatP

PatP Member

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a shavette newbie question. Does anyone here do a head shave with a shavette. I have read the warnings that shavettes are less forgiving than traditional straights. So as I consider a potential foray to the dark side, was wondering how stupid^H^H^H^H^H^H crazy it would be to attempt.

Keithmax, 9nein9 and PickledNorthern like this.