Shavette Newbie

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 9nein9, Feb 27, 2018.

1. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Welcome back! Hope you enjoyed it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2018
    Bama Samurai and Edison Carter like this.
  2. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Had a great shave last night. One pass with quick touch up. Small chunk of soap left that just won't give up and just keeps making thick lather . Got my money's worth out of that puck for sure . Surprising how far 40grams of soap will go as it was a sample.
    The Luxor has grown on me and I find using it has become a pleasure instead of a psychological thriller. Who knew shaving would turn into something I look forward to doing?
    Bought a bottle of Aqua velva classic the other night and had to give it a splash. Funny how that scent evokes memories of my Dad . Apparently that brand is still a big seller, probably cause they never altered the scent .
    Looking forward to today's shave now . Enjoy your day if you are reading this .

Edison Carter likes this.
  3. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Only a few days left to March madness. Got the shavette dialed in pretty good . 30 day rules do work . Did this shave in honour of my late father. Sunday would have been his 92nd birthday and he loved the Aqua Velva . Heres to you Dad! 15220342983112.jpg

Enrico, SpeedyPC and Edison Carter like this.
  4. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Luxor shavette
    Gillette silver Blue
    Copper Hat bay rum
    JR #29
    Witch hazel
    Aqua Velva blue

Great shave today again with the Luxor. This month was a very good learning experience. After much study and practice I'd say I got a handle on the shavette. Got some perfect shaves and some not so good at the start. Since I do 2 pass shaves , Ifound 1 WTG followed by an XTG gave me the most satisfaction. Thought the soapwasnt going to make the 30 days but istretched it out and have 1 shave left inthe bowl.Have a great day gentlemen.:smiley freezing: 15222509351691.jpg

MR41, Enrico and Edison Carter like this.
  5. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Alrighty!!! I am horrible about even making weekly posts hahaha.
    Here is my review on the push type shavette! So for the first couple days of the push type I made sure to be careful about the edges. And had very smooth shaves. It has gotten to the point where I have been able to shave with a shavette with better one-pass smoothness than I have had with a SR. Over the next four days I was working and I only shaved every other day. One of the days I was rushed and gave myself a good car scratch, but that was the worst of it. luckily it healed by the next morning.

The last couple days have been with the Luxor Notch type and I’ll tell you what. I am able to shave with this baby as if it were a DE razor or a SE razor. Nice, smooth, quick shaves. Even when I’m in a hurry I have had no problem, especially around my chin (where it usually gets a little raw).
    I will chalk part of this up to the fact that I’ve been shaving solely with these for the last month, but this razor is great.
    I love the weight of the Luxor. It also helps that if you have the razor seated properly the corners are hidden.
    This month I have tried to keep what I shave with the same so I could do an honest review on the razor itself, instead of the shave den.
    I’ll post a full review at the end of the month. But one thing I want to say is I encourage everyone to try and shave with a shavette. It honestly starts to feel more like a session of meditation than shaving. And it adds a little adventure to the shave. I noticed with my SR and my DE razors that they started to feel like “just another shave”. This has been a great month of discovery! :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR41, 9nein9 and Edison Carter like this.
  6. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Awesome post. I like the Luxor alot myself.

Pilotcld likes this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

D59FECBF-A61D-44AA-9942-A74E1FBDB7B2.jpeg

9nein9 and Pilotcld like this.
  8. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

MR41 likes this.
  9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

It does do well. Its real strength is the feel- it’s awesome! I recommend them.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    9nein9 likes this.
  10. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

9nein9 and MR41 like this.
  11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

9nein9 and SpeedyPC like this.
  12. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

It is not over yet, but please allow me to be the first to congrate Master @Bama Samurai and his band of Mighty March Madness Men who undertook the challenge of March Madness. May those experiences and skills serve you well. I have greatly enjoyed reading about your trip. Should I decide to venture into shavettes, I am better prepared. I salute, and thank you.
    :happy096:

MR41 likes this.
  13. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Ditto. I was not in this class, but @Bama Samurai was my sensei, if you will, as well.

Edison Carter and 9nein9 like this.
  14. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

15224327627092.jpg Well March is almost over and I hate long good byes . Been a great experience and I'd have to say today's shave was the best of them all. The Copper Hat bay rum is finished, making room for a new soap in the old Wilkinson bowl. Did 3 passes today wtg, xtg and wtg... perfection. A big thank you to Chris for everything from the Luxor and blades to his encouragement and support during the month. See you in April!

Edison Carter and MR41 like this.
  15. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@9nein9 you might want to go to the next level using a shavette, get yourself below, FYI blade exposure: Kai Captain vs Feather Artist Club click here

1. Kai Captain Standard DX non-folding shavette
    [​IMG]

2. Kai Captain Titan Mild SE blade
    [​IMG]

3. IF the Kai Captain Titan Mild is not sharp enough get a Feather Artist Club Professional

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    9nein9 and Edison Carter like this.
  16. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I want some more feather blades so bad. I love them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Was it an hour well spent? ;)

18. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Oh yes . Can do a shave now in 5-10 mins and get great results .

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Now for the shavette head shave!!

9nein9 likes this.
  20. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Hahahahaha. It' coming . The top and sides will be the easy part . The back will give me nightmares I'm thinking.

wchnu and Edison Carter like this.