Shavette purchase

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Macros42, May 4, 2016.

1. Macros42

Macros42 Active Member

I want to try straight shaving without immediately going into the expense of a straight razor so I'm thinking of getting a shavette to try it out.

Looking at a couple:
    http://www.knightsshavingshop.com/white-shavette-cut-throat-style-razor/
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/dovo-matt-stainless-steel-shavette.html

But then I see some cheaper options on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/WOODEN-BARBE...353941?hash=item33acad0b95:g:oGwAAOSwzhVWq0lJ
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BlueBeards-R...011768?hash=item232f2816b8:g:SN8AAOxyA9dSXroZ
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/WOODEN-BARBE...079182?hash=item43df1dc5ce:g:QucAAOSwDNdVlXYR

Are these cheaper ones any good? I'll be using the same blades are currently (mainly astras but have other brands too) so I'm not worried about that. But would it be worth trying one of these cheap ones to start out or should I go for known quality like dovo?

2. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I went from shavette to straight but I never stuck with it; something I just didn't enjoy, although I am holding on to my Theirs Issard in case I change my mind later on.
    I found the two are completely different shave systems. The tools behave differently. My advice, if it's worth anything, would be to spend the money on a relatively inexpensive straight. If you don't like it, sell it. Just don't think if you decide on the shavette that the experience will be the same.

opsimath, Macros42 and Robyflexx like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    JBSharp, macaronus and Macros42 like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

macaronus and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Is there actually a need/want for those Wecks ???

If so I will go look in the shop for the box of them I know is hiding out there

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The blades are still made, and it's the closest thing to shaving with a straight razor, aside from the Feather offerings. Between the price of the Feather razor and the $1 per blade cost, Using a Weck instead makes sense.

Plus, some of the really old Wecks from the '20's and '30's come with really nice cases.

navy mac and gssixgun like this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Um, yes! No need, but definitely interested! :happy088:
    But no hurry either, since the bottom of my money box is bleached from all the sunlight falling onto it... :sad027: So I need to save for all and any purchase I do at the moment.

Oh well. Makes me appreciate the gear I've got all the more. :)

RyX and gssixgun like this.
  8. Macros42

Macros42 Active Member

Bama Samurai and macaronus like this.
  9. Macros42

Macros42 Active Member

Tell me more?

RyX likes this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I tried to start the same way, with a shavette. My first shavette was so bloody and bad that it delayed my entry in to straights for a year and half. Starting with a true straight is much easier path than starting with a shavette. While maintenance is harder it is not as hard as you think. Stropping is easier than you think.

If you really want to start with a shavette I recommend a CJB or Feather. The CJB and Feather DX shave more like a straight than any shavette I tried. I have not tried a Weck yet but hope to one day.

The Feather SS felt strange to me because of the bump at the edge. This changes the technique required versus the DX and CJB where the technique is closer to using a true straight.

opsimath, BigMike and AZWhiskers like this.
  11. AZWhiskers

AZWhiskers Active Member

Feather is the way to go in my opinion. I have a feather Artist Club SS and it is just a great razor. It shaves soooo...easy...so smooth, as a matter of fact I am going to shave with it tonight.

12. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

+1 ... I'm definitely interested ;) They look VERY tempting. I'd buy one, if you should find a nice specimen in your box

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. Macros42

Macros42 Active Member

What would you recommend as an economical way to transition from DE to straight?

14. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Shavettes and straight razors are birds of a different feather. If you're interested in trying straight razor shaving, I'd certainly recommend a straight razor!

For the purposes of sticking your toe in the water, there are some economical options. Obtain a used SHAVE READY straight from a reputable source. There are several reputable venders for these, check some threads in this section for the usual suspects.

Remember that any vender or seller can (and will) say their straights are shave ready. Don't believe it. Rely on the opinions of folks on the board as informed consumers, and consider their recommendations. Don't believe advertising. Trust validated reputations.

Also check the classifieds. Place a "want to buy" ad for an inexpensive shave ready straight.

Start researching a bit about stropping and have your stropping strategy developed and you'll be prepared when you have your SR in hand. With proper stropping, you'll get enough shaves out of your used shave ready straight to decide if straight shaving is for you (spoiler alert: it will be!)

Shoot anyone currently posting in this thread: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/what-straight-razor-did-you-use-today.35281/ a PM for guidance on where to look for a good shave ready starter straight. They've all been there before :)

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

^that^ :)

Macros42 likes this.
  17. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

You were not misled at all. I have been using shavettes for a long time. THEY WERE MADE FOR SHAVING. . I have many and all work great. A good one will last a long time. DREADNOUGHT, LUXOR PRO NOTCHED ( nick proof ) the 3 rivet Parker, and M.D. barber has many gorgeous shavettes. You have many benefits with a shavette. You can use your favorite blades , by presplit blades and on most shavettes, you can adjust the blade exposure. Straight razors are KOOL ! But I don't feel like buying a stropping, learning how to re hone or send it out, or stropping it 50 times before I use it. Then, do I need a 3/8 , 5/8, 6/8, hollow ground ?. I just want to shave. A lot of blade exposure can make a flexible blade, as such shorter is stiffer. If it is your first, the Luxor Pro NOTCHED. Must be notched otherwise it's just a Sanguine. The notches cover the corners of the blade so nicks are uncommon. Check out M.D. barber, or Luxor. Parker stainless steel is not well made and flexes. Parker, Dreadnought, and M.D. barber offer 3 rivet scales and they will last a long time. I prefer changing, and trying new blades in my shavettes. Even my BBNY DE vette. Make your own choices, shavettes are inexpensive. And barber's. use them. All day long. Be happy, get feedback on your questions, and decide. You might love it, while others don't. It's your shave. Enjoy it.

macaronus, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs011:

You can get a great shave with a properly honed straight or a shavette. I use both but the experience is different. If your goal is to shave with a straight, start with a straight. Shavette are even more difficult to master than a traditional straight, at least it was for me.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have a LUXOR PRO NOTCHED on the way.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. Macros42

Macros42 Active Member

That sight unseen option looks like a winner tbh. I'm a demon when it comes to checking out so many options, then comparing various options, then agonising over a vs b. So pay $45 for a restored razor I can't even see = win!

I do like this: "I'm more interested in your satisfaction than with making optimal profit. So, don't hesitate to suggest that I charged too much" -- that's the type of guy I like to buy from. He just wants me to have a good shave and if he makes a few quid then all the better.

Is the Poor Man Strop Kit good enough to start with too?

All in it's less that €80 for a straight and strop kit. I'm always sceptical of something so cheap - my Dad was a clothing manufacturer and always went by Gucci: “The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” But if it's recommended here then I'll give it a try.

Carbide Mike and Keithmax like this.