Shaving 12+ hours before next shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by MaineYooper, Jun 6, 2017.

1. MaineYooper

MaineYooper Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Looking for opinions, experiences, advice, etc, (and realize that YMMV) regarding shaving when to shaves will be close in time to each other.

My work schedule is not a Monday to Friday one, but a rotating on and off 2 or 3 days at a time. I typically have one day off that I shave really late in the day, sometimes only 15 hours before my next shave. I have tried skipping a day, and get a great shave when I do, but I really dislike so much stubble! I have experimented with shaving with a mild razor, shaving with only one pass, shaving normal with the next shave being mild or single pass, etc. What seems to work best for me is to NOT try for the closest shave possible the day before, and then do my normal routine without worrying about an overly irritated face! Unfortunately, I can often be, like Winnie the Pooh, a bear of very little brain, and forget the whole thing and shave away like I am shooting for the lowest coefficient of drag possible, and this leads to an irritating shave the next day, no matter what I do.

So, all that to ask: What tricks or tips do you folks use? (Or am I just being too retentive about this?! It's just shaving!!)

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Shave when you want to and do what works for you. All of us shave at different times and in different frequency. Focus on pressure (very light) and technique and hopefully you'll begin to avoid the irritation you're experiencing.

What is your setup as far as razor, soap, brush, blade preference, etc?

Spyder, RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup

Spyder and PLAla like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've cut back to only shaving once every 2-3 days. This is due to my current limitations of having only a single hand available. Two passes suffice. I dont go for the 'BBS' shave and am satisfied with what is called a 'DFS' (Darn Fine shave)—it may not be the ultimate smooth result, but I look presentable (my wife doesnt really go for the popular 'stubbly whisker' look).
    If you really feel the need to shave daily to keep yourself content and to avoid irritation, do a single (or at most, double) pass and be done.

Spyder, RetLEO-07, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I shave about 6 times during a week, taking one of the weekend days off. But I only do one WTG pass and then clean-up on my neck and jaw, which is basically a second pass, still WTG on my neck and XTG on my jaw. I rarely do two full passes and have only done three passes once or twice. My face just can't handle all of that shaving. One slow and deliberate WTG pass with clean-up works really well for me. Is it BBS? No. Is it smooth and comfortable enough? Yes.

Spyder, RyX and MaineYooper like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    If you must shave "in-between" your shaves, then treat it as a second pass, and just do one light clean up pass. Do the full prep though. That is important.

Spyder, PLAla, MR41 and 1 other person like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Our faces are different. I often do a second evening one pass shave because my skin puts up with it and I enjoy it. No secrets.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Spyder, PLAla, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  8. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I shave every 24 hours, usually around 6:30 in the evening (I work a straight 6a-2p, M-F shift). Sometimes I'll skip a Friday or Saturday night, to get that "great shave" you mention (I have a fairly light beard...I can barely feel stubble after 12 hours). Now...my whiskers grow in odd directions on my throat (where I risk the greatest chance for irritation). And, I use Williams Mug soap, probably not the slickest soap in the world. I've gotten into the habit of sticking a wet brush into a tub of Clubman cream (about an inch) before lathering the Williams to slicken things up a bit. Really helps me, more so than the Clubman pre-shave oil. I also prefer a mild razor and platinum blades; they perform best for me.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thirty six hours is my optimum next shave. But that's me. I usually have the time to get in a full three passes plus chasing the baby. My work schedule is unpredictable and shaving isn't required.
    Short of a BBS, or DFS, is the SAS - Socially Acceptable Shave. You look OK, even if you know it's not smooth as it could be. If you own multiple razors maybe go mild razor and just minimum passes for looks. Save the BBS results for when you have the beard and time to chase that baby.

Spyder, MR41 and MaineYooper like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1

Spyder likes this.
  11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I shave Sunday to Friday every week. Saturday is an off day. My shaves occur 24 hours apart during the week. I use 4 different razor/blade combinations and get really good to great shaves. But, that is me. I have a problem with my neck also. The best razor/blade combo for that is my '52 Super Speed Black Tip with a Shark Super Chrome blade. Good luck with your quest.

Spyder and RyX like this.
  12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I like my morning shaves. Now this sorta presents a dilemma when i have evening engagements. All my family know I'm a shaving aficionado, so it seems unseemly to show up scruffy and prickly to late day events. My solution so far has been to use mild shavers in the morning, then a more aggressive for the encounter. Reason being, I'd like to be at my best when people can or could notice. If needs be I'll revert to the milder razors the next day.
    Event shavers include:
    Fatip
    R41
    Progress
    Futur
    Matador
    Barbasol Floating Head
    Variant
    Milder shavers:
    Triangle holed Tech
    Contract Techs
    Slim
    Ikon Shavecraft 101
    Stahly head
    Grand Shave King
    Aristocrat
    Super Speed regular or bluetip
    I'll also make doubly sure my prep is good. I'll also make sure to use a good balm. Sometimes if i know I'm squeezing shaves together I'll skip using alum, I feel the alum dries my skin. My goal being to feel smooth and supple.
    Hope some of this helps. Please post the results you find.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    RyX, jmudrick, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I shave every 23-36 hours. I do two pass if 24 hours , if 36 hours has passed ; I'll chase the baby with three passes. I use a str8, which gives me a closer shave than I could get with a safety razor. What used to be my five o clock shadow, now doesn't really show up till 24 hours after the shave.

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If I shave twice in one day, I usually end up using a mild razor, like the blue tip, for my second shave.

15. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I shave once a day, every day. Usually a two pass with just a touch of burn. I get 5 o'clock stubble so should the wife and I go out on the town I make a quick single pass before we go. Same razor, same technique but just a single squeegee like swipe. It seems to knock it down. But I feel skin is like a muscle. The more you work it the tougher it gets. If you shave every three days it gets burned after two days straight shave every day and it toughens to take that "abuse".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spyder, RyX, PLANofMAN and 1 other person like this.
  16. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I shave Monday through Thursday in the morning usually a full 3 pass shave 2 passes if I slept in. I don't shave on Fridays it's a casual day at the office so I take it easy. Saturday afternoon I'll do a nice slow full 3 pass shave then let it go Sunday.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

My experience also.

Spyder likes this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I work a similar schedule. If I get off my routine and have to make a short day shave I usually just make it a solid one pass shave. That will usually carry me through my shift looking ok. I have a Schick G that does great for thst.

Spyder, PLAla and RyX like this.
  19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I shave every morning and when I have an evening engagement I shave again. For the evening shave and the following morning shave I skip my final pass (ATG). Do not scrimp on prep and I also go with a mild razor.

MaineYooper and Jayaruh like this.
  20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Soooo, Keith, what is your "mild" razor? The Korat or the Kamasori? :happy102:

Keithmax likes this.