Shaving Bowl Inquiry

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Zykris, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Honest opinion? Stick to one razor and master it. Don't rotate gear. It confounds technique. Brushes on faces don't normally cause irritation. Improper blade angle and pressure causes irritation. You're on a goose chase. Not intended to offend, and if you stick to one razor all the time and have irritation, I apologize.

3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Face gets the Gem 1914, head gets the RazoRock Slant (reviewing DE blades.) Never really get irritation from the face or head shave from the razor or the blades. No offense taken, buddy. I know you're just trying to help.

Bama Samurai and Pilotcld like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Do you rotate soap? I've honestly never seen someone with this specific issue. What are you describing about face lathering? How do you know what's causing irritation?

Marine68 and Zykris like this.
  5. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Never used a bowl to lather, can't seem to think it would make a difference but who knows ....

Marine68, Primotenore and Zykris like this.
  6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I have a selection of soaps that work well and I haven't had an issue with for months. I've been using a regular ol' bowl to make lather and it just seems when i do that I get less irritation issues than when I face lather. Just an observation.

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

What kind of brushes do you use. Not trying to be funny.

Zykris likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

BTW I've heard quite a few people enjoy that shaving bowl.

Jordan Smith and Zykris like this.
  9. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Synthetics 99% of the time.

10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

That's encouraging.

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well, to be honest synthetic would be the best if you had allergies. The only thing I can think of is that in face lathering you may be driving the soap in to the pores of your skin; bringing about irritation.

Pilotcld and Zykris like this.
  12. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Never thought of that. Huh. Might be the culprit.

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Bowl is shaped well, but it is light as a feather, and easily tips over when you lay your brush in it. I have dumped mine a couple of times.

Boojum1, Jordan Smith and Zykris like this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've never used that particular bowl, but I do use a SS bowl (same dimensions as the VDH ceramic bowl) to make my lather, and for the same reason works very well and there is no danger of breaking it if I knock it to he floor. I've never had it tip over on me yet.:) Having the lather pre whipped in the bowl does allow you to apply it gentler, worth trying.

Zykris likes this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It does make a difference in how much air that can be whipped into the lather.

Boojum1 and Zykris like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I almost got one off the bay. About 8 bucks shipped from Turkey. But I face lather so no need for one.

Zykris likes this.
  17. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I usually stand my brush up on my sink, so I'm not worried about tipping over.

18. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Suribachi bowls work best for me. They are ceramic, however.

Zykris likes this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I've got that bowl. I got it for the looks. I don't bowl lather, so I use it to hold shaving stuff.
    turkish.jpg

EnglishChannel, AGHisBBS and Zykris like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor