Shaving crisis

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Greg Huddson, May 8, 2015.

1. Greg Huddson

Greg Huddson New Member

Hi there!

I'm new to the forum, mainly because I could really use some help.

For starters I'm in high school, and so getting a clean shave is pretty important. But I haven't been able to get a clean shave in at least a year and I can't take it anymore.

This morning I shaved and it ends up looking like this:

[​IMG]

The difference is almost unnoticeable, even to my eyes. And the worst part is that it's smooth to the touch, its not that I'm terrible at shaving, it just doesn't make a difference. I've noticed that most of the hairs are under my skin but still visible. If you grab tweezers though you can stick them under the hair, but its still smooth to the touch. Later in the day I can feel very slight bumps, probably because I'm trying to shave too close, which doesn't help for the next shave.

I've tried shaving in warm water, cold water, in the shower, after the shower, nothing. Right now I'm shaving with cold water, just so I don't get too many cuts, and only once every two days (also trying to minimize the cuts). Here's the whole procedure:

1) Soak the shaving area in cold water, get it damp, not too wet.

2) Apply a small amount of shaving cream and rub it in, trying to get under the hairs. Then I apply a little more on, the usual thick lather. I'm using a can of Barbasol, pretty typical shaving cream.

3) Rinse the razor in cold water, not too wet. I've tried gillette, but they give me too many cuts. Right now I'm using a simple one from Harry's, it's smoother and has a nice grip.

4) Start shaving. Now I've read a lot on these forms, whether to go with or against the hair, or side ways, both, what ever. I herd that going down prevents ingrown hairs and cuts, so first I gently go down, very little pressure, and then I go up, trying my best to cut the hairs without irritating my skin. If I don't go back I might swell not even shave. I make sure to rinse the blade pretty often.

5) Done. Rinse face off with cold water, and thoroughly rinse the blade. I've also herd that drying the blade by pressing down on a towel with it helps to preserve its lifetime.

6) I pat my face with the towel to dry off, and then I apply a little bit of after shave from a brand called Aveeno (always there, my brother gets it), or my face gets too dry and irritated through out the day. I think this also adds to the problem though, creating a layer of skin that gets over the hairs. But I really do need to apply it or else.

I let it grow whenever I can; shaving after a longer period has much better results, e.g.: Friday morning to Monday morning.

But either way, I just can't get it off. I've even read some places that some people pluck the hairs off with tweezers, but after trying with one it was way too painful.

I'm so desperate at this point and it's extremely frustrating that it always looks like I haven't shaved, and it lowers my self-esteem by the millions. I really need suggestions, comments, anything really that could even remotely help. Please post any thing if you have any ideas, thanks!

Greg

2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Shave every other day. Try using Witch hazel or alum after shaving. And get yourself a safety razor, ask either grandfather if he has any laying around.

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Really interesting as there is absolutely a very clear shadow left.
    Harry's has some nice razors but if you're able to try a double-edged razor that might make a difference to you.

If you are truly unable to shave off that residual shadow there are some natural home remedies you can try - that doesn't use any chemicals - to lighten any facial color.
    Some examples here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/183382-home-remedies-for-bleaching-facial-hair/

4. Greg Huddson

Greg Huddson New Member

Hmmm, I've been searching it up, sounds promising. I might try it, thanks. And yes, I already do shave every other day.

Assuming the double edged razor = safety razor, I guess I should really consider. And although the whole bleaching thing is natural, I really don't want to go so far as to have to bleach the area. I'd rather learn to shave well than have to resorte to that. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    When I was in high school, I used to put milk on my face and let the cat lick it off. Baby bottom smooth...
    Not really, but I can't remember that far back anyhow. Good luck with that shadow...

DEfettish, Bristle Me and BigMark like this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

In fairness tho, the cats looked like this way back then...

[​IMG]

@OP have you tried shaving from different angles... with the grain and then against the grain?

Dubs, InNae, 45auto and 4 others like this.
  7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Welcome to the Den, young man! :)

8. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

1st off welcome to the den...would a shave brush and soap help?.....i think it may as it would help the hairs to stand up while lathering.

9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den.
    I have similar pale skin and and a dark beard. In high school I grew out my mustache just because that was the hardest place to shave. I also looked like I had five o'clock shadow all the time. Now, I have a goatee and mustache and I shave for me - I can tell when my face is smooth and that gives me confidence. I vote for growing it out and taking care of it well. You don't need to make it curly or handlebar or anything.
    Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you choose.

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Good to mention. At 19, the OP may find @swarden43's licensing fees a bit exorbitant. :innocent

swarden43 and Tdmsu like this.
  11. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den. My daughter starts High School next year - STAY AWAY FROM HER! :duel:

Seriously, though, here is the correct place to ask - you are sure to get many options and opinions.

I noticed a couple of things and wanted to ask some questions.

The hairs under your skin are visible - Has the razor cut the hairs, or are the hairs curled up in a ball under your skin? This sounds like
    Pseudofolliculitis barbae

1) Get it at wet as you can - Do not be stingy with water
    2) most of us here will use creams and soaps and a brush a look in the "newbies" section should give you some basics
    3) rinse until too wet, then rinse again, shake off afterwards
    4) many here find that multiple passes with a single blade (not BIC 3 or something like that) gives a superior shave
    5) You have just attacked your face with the sharpest object you can find. It is time to say "I'm sorry". Search the newbies section for info on after shave conditioning - things like Witch Hazel, Alum, after-shave, Moisturizer, etc.

Finally, consider getting a LIGHT tan Your picture showed a strong contrast between the color of your skin and the color of your whiskers. The color of your whiskers will change with age. The color of your skin can be changed with going out into the sun. The less the contrast between the two, the less it is noticeable.

Click here to go to a good forum for newbies.

12. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

First, hello Greg and welcome to The Shave Den. :signs046:

Next, don't be worried.
    Lots of guys have the problems you are having, and they get it figured out.
    You will too.

You made a pretty good write up, with enough detail so that we can probably help.

Some things that you said that concern me are:
    Ok. This sounds to me like that even after you shave, there is enough hair above the skin surface to grab with tweezers.
    So, you're cutting the whisker off, but maybe not right down to the skin surface.

This is a problem. You see, what soap does is bond with oil and dirt and suspend them in the lather
    so that they can be rinsed away. For shaving, we want the natural oil that is in the whisker (making it soft and limber)
    to be drawn out so the whisker will become less "wet noodle" like, and stand up. This will let the blade slice it off cleanly right at the skin
    surface, or very slightly below. You are a young guy, and your whiskers are likely fairly fine. Also, you probably have
    plenty of natural skin oil. To combat these two things, I think you need a good shaving soap, and a good brush to apply it with.
    (If you don't have a brush or a shaving soap, PM me.)

and
    Oh my. :eek:
    You may be dulling the blade(s) by doing this, and that may be what is making the razor feel "smoother".
    Instead of pressing the razor on a towel, just give it a couple of brisk shakes to remove the excess water.

Hmmm......
    So if I'm reading that correctly, the downward pass really isn't cutting anything at all.
    It's really the ATG (against the grain) pass that is cutting.

I'm convinced.
    Your prep in the moustache area needs some serious work. (Shaving soap and a brush)

You may also need to put a new cartridge in Harry's machine. (you should be cutting on the WTG pass)

No more towel drying. Make sure the blades only touch your face, and nothing else.

Above all, hang in there Greg. :)
    Things are going to improve.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  13. TheDude82

TheDude82 Well-Known Member

You might want to consider mapping your beard growth. Google for an image to print off to help. But you may think you are shaving in the right directions and missing completely. Let it grow a few days and then feel it out and really study it in a mirror. And really get a good map. Then you'll know what direction it really grows and have it documented. Mine grows in all sorts of directions. It really helped me starting out. Hope it works out, bud. Hang in there.

spacehobo likes this.
  14. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I forgot to add - do not go against the grain.

Bristle Me likes this.
  15. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Welcome Greg! Glad you stopped in. You just took the on-ramp to the road of great shaves. It might take a little time to get there but you will. I wish I learned to shave right when I was your age. Instead I mistreated my face for a good 25 years before I couldn't stand it anymore.

Definitely spend some time reading through the Shave School forum. Here's my cliff notes version.

You've got a pretty good set of whiskers for a high school kid so you might have a little tougher time than most.
    Prep is important. Barbasol will work ok if it's what you've got for now. Get your face and hands wet and work some shaving cream into your beard. Let it sit there a few minutes and keep it good and wet if it starts to dry out. After a few minutes you should notice your whiskers feeling softer. That's what you want.

Next lather up again. Don't be shy with the water. You don't want runny lather but it needs some water in it to be slick.

Now shave using as little pressure as you can. If the razor blade's tugging on your whiskers, use a new cart. If it still tugs, well, you might want to try something else (like a safety razor) :). Try just going with the grain (usually down) one time and stop. See if you have any irritation from that. If you do, you probably need to change something. Different cream, razor, less pressure, etc. Try one new thing at a time until you can get an irritation free shave. After you can do that, you're ready to try a second pass across the grain or against. Go for irritation free shaves and your skin will look better even if you have a little shadow. I had the same problem before my whiskers turned gray and there's not a lot you can do about it. Might as well just own it if that's how it's going to be.

The after shave you've got is probably fine but you might want to try some other stuff too. Witch hazel or any of the standard drug store after shave splashes are cheap, work well, and they can tell you a lot about how your shave went. If it stings when you apply it, you're doing something wrong. Your goal is no irritation first and baby butt smooth second. Eventually as you get better you will get both pretty much all the time though.

Rufus T. and Bristle Me like this.
  16. Greg Huddson

Greg Huddson New Member

Many you guys crack me up. Umm... I don't think I'm gonna grow it out. It seriously just looks godawful, especially when its longer (I get the opinions from brothers and school people all the time), but a decent suggestion nonetheless.

I'll try the shave brush aswell!

Haha, don't worry I'm graduating next year ;)

And I doubt that is actually the case; the hairs aren't curled at all, they're just quite thick, making it harder to shave too. Thanks though!

Wow, thanks man! Yeah I hope I can get better at it, I'll keep looking around and take your advice!

Thanks! I'll be sure to fix all of that up. Also according to others, the Safety Razor would help, everyone agree?

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    Tdmsu likes this.
  17. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Hi Greg! Welcome to TSD.

18. bnccna2

bnccna2 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den. Keep reading through these forums and you will find something that works for you.

19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well we would all agree that yes, a safety razor will help, if only because it will get you started on buying safety razors and becoming as obsessed as we are! So yeah, jump right in! Seriously, though, yes, I would agree with that. Traditional wet shaving made a huge difference for me with several problems. Less irritation and closer smoother and more even shaves for starters.

20. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Hi, Greg.

You received some pretty good advice. I would add to wait a week or so and this problem will be replaced by others that seem much bigger than this.

MarshalArtist and markjnewcomb like this.