Shaving with a 65 years old blade.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HUF, Oct 27, 2014.

1. HUF

HUF Active Member

Last Saturday, I picked up a mint notched Gillette SS without a date code for $5. It came with a 20-blade blue dispenser with Gillette Blue blades. Because blue injectors were introduced in 1950, I assume that's when the razor was manufactured as well. As you know 1950 was the last year of SS without a date code.

Today I decided to try the razor and thought it would be cool to load it with a blade it came with! Since there was no sign of rust whatsoever, I assumed it was good to go. The shave was pretty harsh... Got my usual BBS after four passes instead of common three passes. To my surprise, there was no razor burn or any nicks or weepers. No irritation either.

Sure, a Feather or Personna would cut through my usual three-day stubble much easier, but it was fun to think about shaving for the first time with a razor and blade made in 1950!

On the side note, I have also 1979 black handle SS as well as 1966 Schick Krona. I have to say that the both (particularly the Gillette) are made with greater precision compared to 1950 SS. For example, my 1979 SS has no blade or silo door play whatsoever. I do like 1950 SS handle and weight though.

How's your experience with old carbon steel DE blades?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As you said, harsh.
    Hmmm... A harsh BBS or a comfortable BBS?
    I'll stick with the comfort of new blades.

maltedmilk and 178-bplatoon like this.
  3. HUF

HUF Active Member

Ditto.

4. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

The blade should have a date code, Gillette began putting them on the blades in 1930.

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a nice collection of TTO razors there. The 40's style TTO's are considered by many to be the more aggressive of the SS's of course "YMMV". That along with using the vintage blade could well be the reason for the harsh, yet close shave. I'd also cut your 47-50 SS some slack as far as condition when comparing the three razors, considering it was made 16 years before the Korona and 30 years before your 1979 Black Handle SS. :)

6. HUF

HUF Active Member

True. It says F3. The blue 20-blade dispenser is of torpedo shape.

HoosierTrooper likes this.
  7. HUF

HUF Active Member

I am a perfectionist and like the build quality of 1979 SS. Do not like its aluminum handle, the way it feels in my hand though. I have checked the edges of the blades with magnifier - it is not straight in my 1950 SS (the ends of the blade are down) and it is perfectly straight in 1979 SS and Krona. As a matter of fact, the 1979 SS is the only Gillette out of my four Gillettes, that has perfect blade securing/exposure. Very well-built razor, indeed.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Shaved with a mint '50s Blue Blade this morning in a '58 TV Super Speed. Perfectly efficient and more comfortable than some lesser modern stainless blades. It's now 8:09 pm, 15 hours later, and I do not need to even think about shaving yet. But mileage varies. I'll take any Blue Blades others don't want. :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  9. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

1960, still a long time ago. (I was 4:ashamed001:)

Jayaruh likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have a no notch 47 SS. It is a fine razor. It is also my birth year razor. I have some vintage blades, but they are just for show. Glad yours worked out for you.

11. HUF

HUF Active Member

Thanks. I was one year old. :) So, probably the case and the dispenser did not come with the razor. The razor looks mint. Now, the latter can be 1948-1950.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's the year I turned 13.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Correction: I misread the date code. This morning's blade was 2nd quarter of 1943.

14. HUF

HUF Active Member

1943! How many shaves do you get from a vintage blade?

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Since they're carbon steel, only 2-3, if that. Depends on the brand.

But being carbons, they can be stropped and rehoned to maintain their edge indefinitely longer than if left alone, whereas stainless cannot be (some guys argue that point but I'm convinced it ruins the bevels). I've done it in the past with carbons as an experiment/curiosity. It's easy and only takes the interest in doing it...but since we're not living in a Depression (yet) and since good stainless blades are now available for cheap, it really isn't worth doing. But it can be done.

PS It's been 24 hours since yesterday's carbon shave and I'm still DFS. No need to shave. If you're interested in trying carbons, I have several sealed brands from way back that I'll die before I use up.

macaronus likes this.
  16. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I've shaved many times with old Gillette Blue Blades. If they from an unwrapped package and I strop them on a pair of blue jeans, ( don't know if that really helps) I get great shaves from them. Old Schick Kronas too. Carbon blades being softer were able to take a sharper edge than stainless, just don't get near as many shaves out of them, and it is somewhat of a risk as micro corrosion is a possibility. I also go with four passes instead of three, two across the grain instead of one before the against the grain pass. It's a unique experience if you're into the whole nostalgia thing like I am. The oldest ones I've used were from the 30's.

17. HUF

HUF Active Member

I started shaving in mid 70s when stainless steel blades and disposables were already available. I just wanted to see what my father, grandfathers were experiencing since most of their life they had to use carbon steel blades. I have a few dozens of Blue Gillettes. Will use them occasionally for fun.