Shaving with a slant or any other that shaves close

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by tuxxdk, Jan 21, 2014.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Honestly it's been about five years since I had my slant. Like you, the first couple of shaves were nice. But then came that third and fourth shave - always wound up with razor burn. For me the slant was best used every other couple of days rather than several days in a row. Kinda wish I hadn't sold it, but that was back when it was that and my 34C.

RaZorBurn123 and Chuck F like this.
  2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

New day, new shave. Today was slightly better than the one that started this thread. Alum was barely noticed. Yay! But I'm not quite as close but slightly less aggravated skin.

So what have I learned? The slant need a slightly shallower angle than a normal DE and still the lightest tough. Also I think the Astra SP will be fine in it - yesterday was just a mess-up with the angle.

I can't quite figure out if I want to use it on a daily basis. It might be one I pull out if I haven't shaved for days and/or want to spice things up. Frankly, the attention needed today makes it a bit cumbersome for me ATG. However WTG and XTG it actually shines. I'll try tomorrow and make no ATG and see how close I can get it. It might be a 2-pass shaver that'll give me the same results as a Tech with 3 passes.

3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

4. tuxxdk

But.... as I sit here, about an hour after, I can feel I've been shaved. Hrm.... I might not like that slant. I mean, the closeness I have now is nothing I can't get with a normal DE, eg. the R89 and with that I don't get that feeling on the skin I have now.

But but but... I'll not sell the bear before the hide has been shot.. or... whatever :) so I'll try those shaves sans-ATG and see what I get.

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Make the slant part of the razor rotation rather than your everyday razor. I was more likely to use my slant if I skipped a shave day & had to deal with 2-day growth.

RaZorBurn123, Chuck F and tuxxdk like this.
  6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

This is what I would suggest as well. If you skip shaving on weekends, use the slant on Monday.

tuxxdk likes this.
  7. tuxxdk

That's also what I'm inclined to do. If not rotation, then my "special-tool" in the drawer for longish beard. Somehow, don't ask me why, I feel I'll miss it should I part with it.

8. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

The slant is much like an SE. Can use it every day provided you watch the pressure.

9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Just for a couple weeks...how 'bout you use the slant for your WTG pass and use your Tech for XTG and ATG...or maybe WTG with the Slant and ATG with the Tech and maybe a little buffing to chase the Baby...lol
    You can do those touch up buffing and slide moves with the Tech and still get a low impact BBS...That might be your ticket for a 2 1/2 pass BBS with no irritation....If this works, later you'll know if you want more slant face time or more Tech face time....You can get BBS's with either, the question is which one or use both to get the most pleasure out of your shave......Lots of cats use more than one razor on a shave....Just like changing the setting on an adjustable for each pass...it's a very common technique...

macaronus likes this.
  10. tuxxdk

I'll need to play a bit with it. The Slant appeals to me in a strange way, yet it annoys me.. lol

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Maybe you need to master it, to get it to stop annoying you...lol...

For the record, and this doesn't mean a thing with the YMMV factor looming...but I've had a couple razors that would give me a pink kind of slightly burned neck with the Astras....I tried both the SP and SS....and I had alot of Astras so I really tried...and one of the razors; a 1938 Gillette Senator was like my favorite DE razor, so I really tried everything....I finally found irritation free BBS's with an extremely sharp blade; the Perma-Sharp Super...That combo just worked...I think the more aggressive razor needed a sharper blade...But whatever the reason, that combo never gave me the red throat...but to this day I still can't use the Astras in that razor without redness no matter how light a touch I use...;)

12. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Slants are sultry IMO

13. tuxxdk

Of course I need to master it - question is - do I have what it takes? Does my skin have what it takes? That's the question in spe the next few shaves.

Today was a 2-pass WTG/ATG that kinda feels at the moment like a 3-pass with a Tech. Did I enjoy it? Not really, too much attention needed. Did it work? Yes indeed. Where to from now? I'll rest it for the moment being and move on to my other razors. The day I have lots of beard it'll be perfect for an initial WTG or maybe even a quick shave a day I don't have much time and then be done with just a single WTG.

I'd prefer my women sultry and my razors manageable.. .haha :D

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

For me, sometimes the more aggressive razors R41, slants are best utilized with a couple of days growth, and not day to day shaves.

tuxxdk likes this.
  15. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Manageable? What's that?

16. tuxxdk

Controllable.

17. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Are you speaking French? Wet shaving, controllable? That's possible? :o

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011: …or at the very least, more often when either one's skin has adjusted or technique with a particular razor is mastered.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Absolutely! Technique is so important when you go from mild to very aggressive. Skin is the ultimate direction we all should follow, treat it right.

20. tuxxdk

Oui, Mon ami!

I understand and must abide. But something in me really wanted the slant to be the daily razor.