Shaving with safety razor causing ingrown hair acne

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by shadowfeind, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Have you tried a carbon blade. stainless steel blades cause me mild irritation and a few pimples It can also be a irritant to skin. I suggested carbon because you mentioned having a problem with cartridges. Every body has provided you great advice. Best of luck.

2. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I've been noticing that I've been getting irritation and razor bumps from some blades even when my technique is really on point. At first I thought that it was just the platinum blades, but now I'm starting to feel even some stainless ones might be causing issues. It could just be due to other factors apart from the coating, but checking out different blades is always worth a shot. I'll have to try a carbon steel blade for myself.

PickledNorthern and Carbide Mike like this.
  3. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

It would be helpful if they told you what type of stainless steel they are using in their blades, but the blends are considered secrets. Stainless steel has some nasties in it. Hardly noticeable. Where they are made makes a difference. Almost every one contain nickel ( many people are sensitive to it ), chromium, molybdenum, sulfur, manganese, sneakers or sandals,(country of origin) along with the many coatings available to seal, smooth, and protect the blades. I use Voskhod, Pol-Sil, + a few others without irritation .I don't use on a regular basis due to mild allergy. Lots of great advice from members about blades. I wish you the best of luck.

PickledNorthern and Demidog like this.
  4. nav

nav Well-Known Member

if i let a blade get a bit too old, I am susceptible to in growns.

This is also the case if I use blades that are not sharp enough for my beard.

I would definitely suggest getting sharper blades. The best combination of sharpness/smoothness for me are polsilvers.

Carbide Mike and Demidog like this.
  5. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

With most metal, the newer, the sharper.

Demidog likes this.
  6. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

It is usually the nickel in the stainless that causes problems. Using platinum, iridium, or Teflon coated will protect you somewhat; however, that coating wears away after a few uses.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Alot of people are sensitive to nickel and chromium, both in stainless. Good call and great advice !

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You forgot to add recycled tin cans and broken wrenches. :)

The Russian blades are made on hundred year old Gillette blade making machines. Most blade machines in the old Soviet bloc were Gillette's castoffs, moved from country to country as cartridge sales pushed them further into developing nations, or in the USSR's case, a base population who liked the ability to fix most machines with a wrench and a hammer.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Just to say I developed acne issues when I used Old Spice AS splash. Something in it hated my face. As soon as I stopped using it, it all cleared. Could it be your After shave?

Carbide Mike likes this.