Short Handle Super Adjustable.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by oldjoe, Apr 3, 2017.

1. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I have soaked a short handle super adjustable for over a week in Dove dish detergent and then scrubbing bubbles. Working it all the time, back and forth. I finally got the 1/4 turn lock down to work with rags on the handle and holding head but it is simply still too darn tight. Couldn't do this with a razor blade and use for shaving. Any other tricks other then sending it to a repair facility. I don't want to ruin the black on the handle. Sending it away for cleaning---I'm not sure that's worth while as I paid a decent amount for the razor because it looks very good. I'd like to not spend any more. And, the 1/4 turn lock down just isn't working without pretty good force? I think the soap scum has hardened into cement?

Terry Williams and Jayaruh like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

did you try some kind of penetrating oil? Maybe wd40 to loosen things up.

John Ruschmeyer likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have toyed with getting a sonic cleaner. You can get one for as little as about 30 dollars. Then you can clean all your razors.

Herm2502, Terry Williams and RyX like this.
  4. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I tried what I said for soap and also Kroil, which is a fantastic penetrating oil. Creep into the smallest crevices. But, I haven't been able to dissolve the soap scum. Wish I could find something that would do that. a soap dissolving something or other that actually works. With all my back and forth cranking I'm surprised I haven't broken something so far. The razor looks great but the soap scum stuck inside must be hard as nails?

5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

It might be a bit rusty on the inside. Even though the handle is aluminum, the center stem is chromed and they can rust pretty bad. The adjuster, blade bed, the doors, the end cap and the chromed spacer are all susceptible to rust. The handle is susceptible to corrosion also. You might try to boil a pot of water, the take the pot off of the fire and add some dishwasher detergent (not too much). Then, drop it in and leave the razor, doors open, in the pot until the water is tepid. Drain the razor head down while turning the TTO knob. If you see a bunch of crud, then dip it back in the soapy water, swish it around, and twist the knob. You will probably get a lot more crud. Barring that, if you love it, then send it to Captain Murphy. He'll completely recondition the thing; including painting the handle, adjuster markings, and the indicator thread. It'll look better than new. After that you will have keepsake.

Herm2502 likes this.
  6. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Have you tried Barbicide? I soak new (to me) razors and rotation razors, including a Black Beauty, for 24 hours. Come up very clean and no damage to the BB handle.

7. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I have had great success with 3 in 1 oil. I squirt as much as I can in through every opening I can find on the razor. I also try to get some into the area where the handle meets the TTO knob. Holding it upright, and upside down, working the tto knob at the same time.

8. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I think Terry hit the nail on the head---rust or some actual metal corrosion? I didn't use very hot water but after several days of soaking with Dawn and then scrubbing bubbles-- and hot water and Kroil penetrating oil in between I can now hand twist the 1/4 turn and the tightening down seems to be getting smoother and easier with each twist. Sounds like possibly rust is finally being penetrated and smoothed down. A few more days should tell? The whole internals must be very rugged as I haven't managed to break anything yet and the twisting and tightening has been very tight and difficult. at first there was no last 1/4 turn at all. I've been at this soaking and oiling and twisting and turning for just over a week now. Thanks for the suggestions!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

a little compressed air will get lubricant / cleaner into the tight spots.wear eye protection.

Terry Williams likes this.
  10. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Compressed air? I like that idea and I will try it. And, with goggles on! Thanks!

brit likes this.
  11. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

What is the origin of this razor? Are you covered by an ebay guarantee?

This razor is super common and readily available. I would sent it back and buy another. Life is too short to be battling things you are not responsible for!

12. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I haven't found the short handle version of this razor to be super common and except for the 1/4 turn issue the razor looks little used. And, I like to make old razors clean and usable. I also didn't pay much for it. So far so good with loosening up the lock down 1/4 turn issue.

Terry Williams and brit like this.
  13. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Already lots of good advice here. Also consider soaking in mineral oil or baby oil for a day or so and letting it penetrate. That's worked wonders for me, although I've never had one seized up like yours.

brit likes this.
  14. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Wow. Dawn works wonders but a week? I'm afraid your most likely dealing with major corrosion on the inside. I suspect it's terminal. My condolences.

15. brit

brit in a box

especially if the internals are aluminum.

16. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

Don't know if you want to go this route, but there is a video on youtube on how to disassemble a super adjustable razor. Might be able to try this if your adventurous. Looks like he has some basic tools and a vice to do it with. Here is a link to the video.

17. Terry Williams

That is Captain Murphy. I highly, highly recommend his services. He is a true professional and can repair almost anything (look for his Katrina razor video). So, this is excellent instruction if you want to go this route, but it is not as simple as it looks. I've used this process for several Gillette adjustables (including a couple of Super Adjustables) and destroyed a couple or had to repair my mistakes. It is easy to make mistakes. You will probably have to make some tools in order for this is go well and since you are using hammers and punches, it is pretty easy to ding up brass and aluminum. Adjusting the gap of the blade bed and adjuster takes some patience and trial and error. If you are into DIY and you are good with tools (including making your own), then this a great way to go. But, if you aren't setup, then spend the money on CAP and have him do all of the dirty work. Just sayin'.

twhite and ninjack like this.
  18. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

Good advice.

19. Terry Williams

The internals aren't aluminum; just the handle. But, these handles are very commonly corroded to the extent that small holes get created. That, of course, lets in more water and goo. Here is an example of one that I disassembled and cleaned. The handle had a nice hole in a crease, so, I filled it with JB Weld and painted the handle with a waterproof and temperature tolerant enamel (forest green). I like how this came out, but it was quite a project.
    _DSC7770.jpg _DSC7771.jpg

ninjack, AGHisBBS, brit and 2 others like this.
  20. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'll put in one suggestion. Find a surfactant, as well as the detergent. Detergents break down molecules, but surfactants keep them from bonding to surfaces. (that's a VERY simplistic description). The two, in combination with an ultrasonic cleaner, can do wonders.

I have a Slim that's going to require a full disassembly. Everything turns, but the adjuster plate collar is still not riding cleanly - the soap actually ate off all of the chrome. That said, a few hot soaks, then hot runs through the cleaner, got it clean enough for me to put some oil into the collar and run it up and down. It's functional now, just not pretty.

brit and Terry Williams like this.