Short Handle Super Adjustable.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by oldjoe, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Just to keep the Captain Murphy shout out going. Here is one that he cleaned up and adjusted for me. I had him disassemble and clean up the parts. Then, had him send it to another partner to have the shiny parts replated. I gave this to my son for Xmas; it's his birth year razor (1988; the last year that Gillette made adjustable razors).
    _DSC1550.jpg Before: notice the rust inside the doors and on the blade bed.
    _DSC7754.jpg After: Black Rhodium doors; all of the other shiny parts are re-nickeled.

Captain Murphy repainted the handle, the numbers and painted the indicator spring red.

Too cool.

ninjack, brit and twhite like this.
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Very nice. How well does the rhodium stand up to shaving?

twhite likes this.
  3. Bookworm

Additional information - Simple Green is a surfactant (well, with emoliants and a bunch of other stuff). If I can find a source for the SC-1000 that I use, I'll pass it on to the Shave Den shop.

twhite likes this.
  4. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Not sure. All of the ones that I've had done in rhodium ended up being gifts. I'll have to quit doing that. Chris at RazorPlate.com did the replating. He warns that you need to keep rhodium clean and that black rhodium is like a black car; smudges and grime show up pretty easily. I think it really depends on how thick the plating is, but I will check with my gift recipients to see if they are noticing any wear.

twhite likes this.
  5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm also a believer in WD-40. Spray it in through the hole in the handle cap, preferably with the razor open but not completely so.

If we're looking at really stubborn soap residue, may I suggest one more thing to try- Open the razor (to take tension off the spring) tap the end of the handle against a solid surface to break up stubborn soap residue.

AGHisBBS and Terry Williams like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

that is good info.i was looking to buy a short handle version.i will pay close attention for that or spend more for a mint/nos one.thank you.gary

7. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

The final episode on my Short handle 1/4 turn lock down issue seems to have been the good advice, according to Capt'n Murphy to use Bar Tenders friend as a final soak. And this has completely loosened up the final 1/4 turn and the razor is now ready to try out. The head itself is very clean and the plating intact. Thanks for all the advice. In the end, after the bar Tenders friend soak I put a few drops of Mobil One Synthetic oil down the razors gullet, at both ends and have let it sit in a mug, for over a week now. And, the razor seems to be smoothed out very nicely--1/4 turn lock down and all. Thanks again for all the advice!!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  8. Bookworm

Never tried soaking with that. May try it with my extremely beat up, caked up slim. It's a lot looser than it was, but still not completely there.

Glad to hear yours is working properly again!

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Beautiful results.

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have my first Super 84 coming. Should be here Monday. I am looking forward to working with it.
    S84_02.jpg

Terry Williams and jimjo1031 like this.