Short review: L'Occitane Plisson Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Darkbulb, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Tibby49

Tibby49 New Member

Mine is on its way. Looking forward to using this brush.

Darkbulb likes this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Update:
    Used the brush again this morning and with shifting how I hold the handle to more in line with how @Chuck F showed above I must say it felt a lot more comfortable to use.

Face lathered today and even though it doesn't have the strongest of backbones it was still very capable of generating a great lather using Stirling's Sharp Dressed Man soap. I'm also rather enjoying how quickly it dries and not having to soak it pre-shave.

I am noticing that I am adding maybe 20-25% more water now to compensate for the lack of water-retention in the synthetic knot.

It is truly a great little brush :)

Tdmsu, Chuck F and Omelmad like this.
  3. Sean Coughlin

Sean Coughlin Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413679056.691504.jpg

Just a heads up that my new plisson knot came loose from the handle after only 3 shaves with it. Time to break out the contact cement I guess.

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That really sucks. You might be able to get a replacement if they still have more in stock.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

As part of an early birthday gift (to myself :) ), I purchased a Plisson brush. This is my first non-badger brush. I have to say that I really enjoy it. For a frame of reference, I have been using a WD Silvertip (24x48) almost exclusively for the last 5 months.

First off, the brush looks great! I have to agree that the handle is a strangely shaped. However, I have had no issues with gripping it or using it to face lather.

I have never used a synthetic before and thus, almost on auto-pilot, I soaked it the first time. This is not productive as the water just falls out of it. I shook the excess water out and loaded some Proraso white soap on it. I had to dip the tips in water and BOOM! A lather explosion! It produced fantastic lather and I had more than enough to complete 3 passes (and more). Today, I used it on the L'Occitane Cade soap. It also worked very well on this harder soap.

The tips are very soft, but they feel different as compared with my Silvertip. You can splay the ends with some light pressure, but if you push to hard the fibers have a tendency to bend. The fibers have a fair amount of recoil to them, which is very different as compared with a Silvertip. This takes some getting used to and I have been inadvertently slinging some soap more than usual. The brush works very well if you like to paint lather on also (I do a little of both).

The brush drys exceedingly quickly, which I like a lot. All in all this brush is a huge winner at $30. After I'm done testing it, this will become a regular in my rotation along with the WD.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417990333.648951.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417990348.543752.jpg

6. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Nice review. I agree with your findings. It might be the travel brush, and it's second only to my HIS XL for daily use.

VedderLG likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The more I use my Plisson the more I love the way it performs.

Sean Coughlin, Tdmsu and VedderLG like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Same. I like it so much I'm thinking of taking the knot out of that terrible, to me, handle and putting it into something better.
    Didn't think I'd like a synthetic this much but it performs very well.

Tdmsu, VedderLG and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

It's really hard to put down, I'm using more soft soaps just to use this beauty. The handle doesn't bother me that much, but that is an area that could be improved. Without a cost increase :)

VedderLG likes this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I just got a 20% off code from L'Occitane and the Plisson brush is still on sale for $30.
    Hmm....do I need another one for $24?

Tdmsu and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

That's a really good price, you could use that knot? I get 3-4 emails from L'Occitane a day. I need to check for a 20% off code.

Tdmsu likes this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm not gonna use it and it expires on Dec. 15.
    If you want it PM me and I'll send it over to ya (it says it's valid for either in-store or online purchases)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review. - This was a last minute add to my Christmas list. I don't think the handle will be an issue for me, but hopefully I will be able to find out in a couple of weeks. :happy093:

VedderLG and Darkbulb like this.
  14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for that great review! It is most helpful and informative.

Given your impressions, which are well-stated, well-reasoned and with pictures to prove your points, it makes one wonder why these brushes have near cult status.

Darkbulb likes this.
  15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

And also time to send Plisson that photo and let them know they have a problem. That way they can fix their quality issues so their future customers will not have to deal with detached knots.

16. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Thanks for the great review. Can't wait to try mine now, it should turn up December 25th.

VedderLG likes this.
  17. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

It is weird the status that this brush has got. Especially as Plisson make loads of different brushes. Presumably some with the same knot and with different handles which some have said have been an issue with this brush. Yet despite all the different brushes Plisson offer its the L'occitane version that has become so popular. I wonder why. Price maybe?

VedderLG likes this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

My guess price and ease of access to it in retail stores.
    Having said that - it really is a fantastic knot :)

Slow Joe likes this.
  19. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

I put this on my Christmas wish list, and if I get it I've been thinking of putting the knot in a whipped dog resin handle if I have problems with the plisson handle. Considering a whipped dog handle only costs $6-9, it seems like a pretty good investment.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    VedderLG and Darkbulb like this.
  20. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Great review. I love my Plisson. The handle feels nice and the knot is one of the best synthetics i´ve used. That the brush has almost no backbone, ok, but in this case, i love it. The brush creates tons of great, shiny lather. I will never miss it again.

VedderLG likes this.