Should I bother, with a badger?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by dangermouse, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

You can also get a knot at Exoticblanks.com its a 20mm and about 9 bucks. I didnt like it to much at first, but once I broke it in it is pretty okay.

2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I think you need to get a decent one 2 band for sure. Whipped dog has some nice ones. I have a few different badgers, a Rooney silver tip that is like a mop, a couple of Vigshaving silver tips that work well but mostly I default to the synthetics no soaking, no drying time, you can use it day after day. And the performance is perfect for me. When I got my Wolf Whiskers brush I stuck an Ubersoft 2 fan in it and it's become my favorite. I will say this, any decent brush works once you get used to it.

3. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

That Stirling badger is good but big. It holds enough cream to shave an entire barber shop at once. The handle doesn't fit my stand, so it sits upright. Still worth the coin. Solid build, soft and sturdy for making an excellent lather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

there is a lot for the badger. both pro and con. the firs thing to understand is that the grade is never consistent from company to company, and each decade the quality of each grade will be different.

What I mean is that my K40 ever ready pure badger. I have been told on other forums that to get a similar quality knot I would need to get a 3 band silver tip ... a finished razor like that at most companies is going to be well, 200$ or more. But some have said a 60$ silver tip knot from golden knib will put me to the same arena at least.

Low cost badger isn't always exactly a good deal. I tried one of the van der hagen badger brushes. it felt like a brillo pad, and never did anything good for me. it actually could cause more razor burn then using van der hagen razor blades..

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I just ordered a Pure badger from WSP..taking advantage of their cyber Monday discounts.

champagneinhand likes this.
  6. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I have some, not the top end ones, so went synthetic and never looked back.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Personal preference on what type of brush is best, but you do owe it to yourself to try a decent badger brush.
    I find myself leaning more heavily on my boar brushes and synthetics than the badgers for the majority of my shaves.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have boar, synthetic, horse. I prefer the boars. Any extra $$ I spend on razors, soaps, or aftershave. Guess that shows where my priorities lie.....

9. Paul Turner

and I have it here now. :)

PickledNorthern and Spyder like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sorry. Nope. No pics, didn't happen ;)

Spyder and PickledNorthern like this.
  11. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Matthew Marting "Brushguy" or John Michaud "Johnsbrushes" would be my recommendation for a first time badger. Hand poured and turned handles, Virginia Sheng 22mm silvertip knots set at a low enough loft to get you decent backbone, nice and soft on the face. Way good price. Just put .com at the end of each of those words in parentheses, and you'll find them.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Still no pics, Paul. What's the deal? :p

Spyder, Bobcat and PickledNorthern like this.
  13. Paul Turner

wish I could do pics, but I need the techie know-how.

14. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I have synthetic, badger, boar , and badger/boar mix. I tend to use strictly my Manchurian Badger brush, because it has a nice firm bulb, yet it is extremely soft like a nice EJ synth.

If I'm in a rush and forget to soak my brush, then I whip out the Muhlenberg blackfibre.

I like badger because the knots are packed way denser than boar (understandably as the hair is so much thinner)...And I've had some pretty bad luck with boar...Omega brushes handles breaking, SOC lofts being all screwed up and falling out (two separate brushes)...I've just never had a problem with badger. Mind, I go for either Simpson or Semogue badger, never had an issue with them so I don't have a desire to try anything else.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

dangermouse and PickledNorthern like this.
  15. JohnnyTex

JohnnyTex Well-Known Member

When I decided I wanted to try a badger brush, I concluded that I didn't want to make the same mistake I made when I bought my first synthetic (Omega Hi-brush). I wanted something that felt soft, had a medium to softer backbone that could be used for circular motion face lathering. What I got was basically a lather paint brush. Not happy with it at all.

After reading countless posts and watching numerous Youtube videos...I finally decided that instead of taking a chance on getting something that I wouldn't be happy with, again, I made the decision to use the old adage "buy once, cry once." I went with the Savile Row 3324...and couldn't be happier. In softer cream soaps like TOBS for example...it whips up a rich creamy lather and holds enough volume for I bet...5-6 passes, easily. No need to go back to the tub.
    It feels soft on my face, has good backbone...but is also pliable enough to spread out in a fan so I can get that good circular motion for a great face lather. It wasn't cheap...but I got exactly what I was looking for in a brush, so no buyers remorse in the least.

I have my Boar brushes as well and really like them for what I use them for...but that 3324 is all I need in a badger brush. If budget allows...I highly recommend.

16. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I chose my Omega hi brush because it had a pretty handle! I know :) I find it works really well, when I splay the knot and use a circular movement. Mind you I do love my little badger brush now. This is a great hobby, isn't it?

champagneinhand likes this.
  17. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

My first brush was a who-knows-what-it-was. Haven't the foggiest where it came from, but that was like 14 years ago. I pulled what was left of the bristles out & put a Maggard's synthetic knot in the handle. Meh. Feels like trying to lather with a piece of foam rubber.

I got a "pure bristle" (boar) Strong Set, which worked great.

My first (pure) badger was the little Ever-Ready. Wonderful little brush. My next was the Made-Rite, then a Mohawk. I'll be hard pressed to use anything else from now on. You don't need to spend an arm & a leg for one, either.

18. Paul Turner

I have a pure badger(from WSP). It's nice.

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  19. JohnnyTex

JohnnyTex Well-Known Member

Yes it is! If my knot would splay out, I would have no issue with it...but mine wants to bend either to one side or the other when I press it against my face. To me, thats useless as a face lathering brush...so I just bowl lather with it and paint the lather on my face. Might as well get some use out of it, I guess.

dangermouse likes this.