Should pucks that are in mugs be covered?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by GregShaves, Jul 23, 2016.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm sure back in the day it was for storing and building lather.

2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

We have gotten too soft I suppose. Pre shave oils, soaps, mugs, separate bowls for latjering, etc.

I occasionally use my scuttle just to take it back to the old school

Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Perhaps they even face lathered?

Karl G likes this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Id perfer to cover mine. Mostly because i have several in use at any given time. Id like to perserve scents and keep any dust out.

Karl G, Spud, opsimath and 1 other person like this.
  5. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I think youll be fine. If youre shaving every day or every other day, its not going to dry out nor should it get dusty.

6. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I use an old french onion soup bowl and yes it has a top. Don't laugh, the lip on the top of the bowl prevents the lather from overflowing and creating a mess !!!

Karl G and Spud like this.
  7. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

No laughing here, it's actually a genuine way of controlling the lather inside the bowl.

Karl G likes this.
  8. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

EXACTLY !!!

Karl G likes this.
  9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Back in the day when shavers used only one soap it was likely pointless to cover their soap mugs because they used the same soap every morning. For those of us that use a variety of soaps and creams in a rotation over a period of days, weeks or months, it probably makes good sense to cover them until they are used again...it could be a while before they are used again. I would worry less about the soap drying out -- that is generally not a problem -- indeed it may be desirable...and more about dust and debris...depending on where it is stored. I have several soaps that are in mugs or Pryex containers with lids. If I am not using a particular soap every day, then after I shave I leave it open to the air until late afternoon and then cover it and put in my soap drawer.

10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I used to soak my VDH pucks in the morning prior to shaving, but now I never soak them at all. I wet my synthetic H.I.S. 1865 brush, squeeze out excess water, and load the brush from the dry puck. I whip it around for around 10 to 15 seconds, touch only the tip of the brush to water, then take to my face for lathering. I have plenty of lather for 3 full passes and some touch up, with lather to spare.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Karl G and Jim99 like this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

A shaving mug is most commonly used both to hold the cake of soap and to build a lather. One could certainly use the mug only to hold the soap and build the lather in a bowl or by face lathering, however. Traditional scuttles do not have the depth of a mug, so indeed they only serve to hold the cake of soap. There isn't any room to generate a lather, so most of the water is shaken out of the brush, the brush tips are loaded with soap, and the shaver then face or bowl lathers.

Karl G and tuxxdk like this.
  12. Shaver X

The great majority of shavers still use only one soap. The hobbyist shavers on the forums are only a very small subset of the worldwide number of shavers. We are mabye 200,000 at most out of countless millions. There seem to be many shavers who don't even know the wetshaving forums or premium shaving products exist.

Karl G, Rusty blade and tuxxdk like this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

This is true. I've enlightened and converted several friends that grew tired of paying exorbitant prices for carts. One, in a casual conversation while he was helping me with a house project, mentioned that he would sure love to have a razor like his dad and grandad used to have, the ones that have these little door things that open up. I told him I would be right back, and returned with 3 TTO and 3 3-piece razors. His eyes got big, and was so excited to find out you could still get razors like that. A couple of friends have in turn converted others. I've just converted another friend, who is now in the process of reading up on different razors. Until this came up in a passing conversation, he too was unaware of what all is available in traditional wet shaving.

Edit: I loaned him a SuperSpeed until he can decide what he wants.

Karl G, danbuter, Shaver X and 2 others like this.
  14. Shaver X

Good for you! And also for your friends. I would give you 500 likes for that post if I could. I think that word of mouth knowledge has spread so much now that traditional wetshaving has reached critical mass. Expensive cartridges are bad enough, but having them locked in a display case is even worse.

What really reminded me of the lack of awareness among the larger shaving population are people I have seen in a local Art of Shaving store. Some have been given shaving kits as gifts, and are elated to discover such wonderful shaving products exist. Price does not seem to be much of a deterrent, apparently due to convenience and the lack of knowledge about less expensive products. Others have obviously read about traditional wetshaving on the Internet, and want to see traditionl wetshaving products firsthand. Often it is a guy accompanied by his girlfriend or wife who is buying him the items as a gift. It is usually younger guys, and they always make a beeline for the safety razors. Their excitement is quite evident. The good thing is that many of these people will go on to explore more options, and discover the many affordable products available. Your friends are more fortunate in that they are informed of the various affordable options right from the start. Well done!

Karl G and BamaT like this.
  15. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

I never cover my mugs. I think letting them dry out is fine, and covering them may initiate mold growth.

16. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I use a mug for both storage & building lather, and I don't think I have to worry about a puck of Williams losing its...fragrance.

17. david of central florida

Pics for @Jayaruh
    20160912_152627_resized.jpg 20160912_152538_resized.jpg avon
    20160912_152528_resized.jpg
    higgins antique mug
    20160912_151906_resized.jpg
    marvy ubreakable shave mug
    20160912_151926_resized.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Karl G likes this.
  18. david of central florida

One more
    @Jayaruh 20160912_153953_resized.jpg
    Granddad's old spice mug

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Karl G likes this.
  19. david of central florida

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am fairly OCD, so my soaps are all covered 24hrs after each use.

Karl G likes this.