Should Soft Shaving Soaps be Re-Sealed After Every Use?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Willk, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Willk

Willk Active Member

Hi All,

I just received Vitos Shaving Soap Extra Super Coco 1kg block. It's a big block of soft Italian soap that arrived covered in plastic wrap. When I start using it, I was originally thinking to just cut a chunk out and putting it in my open shaving bowl and use it from there for however long it lasts. However, is it better to perhaps take a chunk and put it in a sealed plastic bowl (with a lid), and close the lid after every use? Someone mentioned that if you don't, you may dry out the soft soap. What are your thoughts in general?

Thanks,
    Will

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Scent will dissipate if not sealed. The soap itself will dry out too, but still remains perfectly useable.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I read somewhere that some think the lather improves. This could be the same folks that flip blades too.....so becarefull how you use that information.

jtspartan and jeraldgordon like this.
  4. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have gotten into the habit of leaving the lid off of my soft soaps until my next shave (~24 hours). This allows some of the excess water to evaporate yet the soap maintains its attributes with no loss of sent or performance. The soap also maintains its original consistency. Scientific? No. Just something simple that works for me and is no problem.

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I think you should take 4oz and press it into a sealable container for use. The remaining, I would tightly seal and store it cool and dark until needed.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  6. Willk

Willk Active Member

Hi Ed,
    If you shave everyday, that would mean you never put the lid back on?

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That's assuming you only have one soap.

8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

:signs011:

9. Willk

Willk Active Member

OK, not to get too technical, but would you think having a soap bowl with an ordinary lid (such as a wooden soap bowl with a simple cover) is fine, or should you always opt for a sealed lid (ie: plastic screw-on lid or one that seals to the container when closed)?

PickledNorthern likes this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Seems to me that would depend on how many soaps you have going at once. Just a few, you’ll you it up too fast to worry about it. Twenty five? Might want to seal the jar.

11. Willk

Willk Active Member

just one soap.

12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think you are going to use it up fast enough that it won’t matter.

Enrico likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: I think your safe! No need to worry.

14. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

With 1 kg of soap I would take of a chunk and store the rest sealed, the daily used soap might loose a bit of scent if stored without lid but it will make up with a nice entrance in the bathroom,..

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I will jump on this wagon right here.....:cool:

Enrico likes this.
  16. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

Yes, I would cover after each use.

17. PumperNickel-BageL

PumperNickel-BageL Active Member

That sounds like the safest advice (since nobody really knows for sure unless we own the exact soap he is talking about).

I personally have not had any problems from putting a wet soap away with the lid back on. Soft soaps in particular have a high water content already in them so I dont think a little extra drops inside are going to do any damage. But it may be that leaving the lid off 24/7 may have the scent fade away

Primotenore likes this.
  18. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I cut a 4oz chunk off my block of Cella and pressed it into a ramekin with a tin foil lid. The rest was cut in halves, rolled up in Saran Wrap and stuffed into Mason jars. They’re in drawers in the basement, which is as cool and dark as I could find, short of the fridge or freezer.

19. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

BTW I let every soap dry off before screwing the lid back on, regardless of what type it is.

20. SFTrooper

SFTrooper Active Member

I predominantly use hard soaps, but I do mix in a soft soap like Stirling on occasion. Like others, I turn my soap upside down leaning on the cap and let it dry during the day. I will then screw the cap back on that night and store it away. Been doing it for years and have not noticed a drop in the aroma. If I were using just the one soft soap I would just leave it resting on the cap until shaving the next morning. Soft soaps generally last only a couple of months if you shave every day. Of course YMMV.