Show off your watch

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Darkbulb, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I know these days most everyone use their [smart]phone to see what the time is BUT for those of you fellow dinosaurs that still sport a wristwatch show off what you're using :)

Here's my contribution.

Watch: Bulova 17J wristwatch from 1950 (date code L0).

Case is 10k yellow gold (rolled plate)
    Movement is Bulova Caliber 8 AE with 17 Jewels. Swiss made (manual winding)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has some signs of wear and tear - but it's coming up on being 70 years old so I don't blame it :)

Yehuda D, preidy, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

That's a cool vintage watch! I don't wear a watch or use my phone for time, I really don't pay attention to time except to tell me when I need to leave work. But if I ever decide to wear a watch again, I think I'd look for something like that. I think a watch should be stylish, not practical.

Here's the closest thing I have to a watch:

Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS

I use this for running and cycling. I hate having anything on my wrist (see above) and since I grew up in the 80's, this feels like a big clunky Casio watch to me. But it works really well for what I use it for, and the Garmin website does a great job at parsing the date anyway I'd like it to.

[​IMG]

Darkbulb, RaZorBurn123 and gorgo2 like this.
  3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Forgot the name, but I bought it at Kays. It's manual winding. I don't carry it often but it's the only real watch I use.

4. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I really don't know much about mechanical watches but I have this pocket watch.
    Hunter case, Swiss Bar movement, Neuchâtel hallmark, could date from 1860s-1880.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

preidy, Keithmax, wristwatchb and 6 others like this.
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Mine is a 28 year old Omega Seamaster Titane. It is titanium with gold and extremely light. They only made the titanium version for a few years. The bracelet is solid titantium too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yehuda D, preidy, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have a citizen ecodrive in titanium. unfortunately, the pins holding it together were steel. now I have a watch that will run forever in ambient light,but the bracelet won't hold up. ecodrive says they are tough as we are, guess I'm tougher. a shame too, cause once you wear titanium everything else seems heavy.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have a couple dressier ones packed away, have been wearing these off and on this summer.

[​IMG]

°Sheffield All Sport, circa 1965 or so
    °Timex w/waxed brown cotton band
    °no-name $8 Walmart watch...I like yellow on black

Darkbulb and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I only wear a watch when I have to go in to work nowadays and I'm lucky that I get to work from home most of the time. Citizen eco drive titanium with a black leather band is what I wear when I need it.
    [​IMG]
    For those earth toned days, I have a Fossil that my wife got me but it feels like a boat anchor compared to titanium.

9. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I have 2 in primary use: A pocket watch and a wrist watch.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

I enjoy them both, and find that they keep exceptional time!

preidy, Keithmax, Tattoobob and 4 others like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Very cool!

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wow some really nice timepieces - kind of surprised as I thought almost everyone had given up on watches these days. Then again wet shavers may be more tradition-inclined than the average person :)

Mr. Shaverman and gorgo2 like this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

@TitanTTB that watch is in an amazing condition for being 150 years old!

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I concur. I wouldn't mind owning a decent time piece, If I had the funds for it.

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have ruined so many watches over the years, I went reliable and inexpensive this time.
    image.jpg

MrDaniel's, gorgo2, Redrock and 3 others like this.
  15. Clubman4Life

Clubman4Life Active Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407100047.252310.jpg
    I've been rockin' G-Shocks for about a year and a half and they're awesome. The only setback is that they're a pain to set.

This one is a new color called "Sand Resin".
    It's a khaki color. Such a tough watch...

MrDaniel's, gorgo2 and Darkbulb like this.
  16. RazorZombie

RazorZombie Member

[​IMG]

The left one is a cheapo Walmart watch on a cheap, leather band I wear for work. I work quality control in a manufacturing plant, but I am occasionally called upon to run a CNC mill when we're short-handed, and that's a messy job. No need to go exposing a good watch and band to it.

The two Fossils...well, they're Fossils, which is a brand I've grown to trust over the years. The leather bands are handmade by Bulldog Leather Works out of Colorado (I believe that's where they're based). I also have a stainless steel band and the original thin leather bands for both in the event that I need to dress one or the other up a bit.

Keithmax, gorgo2 and Darkbulb like this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Retroing it up on the MUNI (if late 80's-90's can be retro already):
    [​IMG]

18. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

A Casio. Like a good Boar - dependable, comfortable, reliable, inexpensive.

Casio.JPG

MrDaniel's, Keithmax, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I've been wearing my Omega Speedmaster Professional ref. 3570.50.00 for the last few weeks. It's a manual wind chrono with a storied history. Here's a variant with a sapphire case back showing the operation of the mechanical movement. I just love the looks of the watch on wrist.

20. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I've been wearing my watches less over the past few years for two reasons. One is that the band scratches my laptop and the other is I'm getting arthritis in my wrists. Tonight, however, I wore my Citizen to dinner and thought I'd share it with you guys, whom I happily share a shaving obsession...
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, Robyflexx, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.