Shower Shaving?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by ohpaos, Mar 17, 2013.

1. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

I've seen some people mention shaving in the shower. For men, does this mean you have a non-fogging mirror set up in the shower? Or do you not need to use a mirror?

Do shower shavers usually keep a shave brush & soap/bowl in the shower, or make the lather beforehand? Just curious about the logistics. I take a full bowl of pre-made lather into the shower, partly b/c I like to make super-/uber- lathers, and partly b/c I'm just clutzy. (shower multitasking ---> lathertastrophe)

FacialCarnage and 178-bplatoon like this.
  2. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I've never tried it. If I tried to shave without a mirror, I would likely pass out from blood loss partway through the second pass.

youngunn, tuxxdk and ohpaos like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I actually do make my lather while I am in the shower. I also use a shower bench, because I find that more comfortable.

ohpaos likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've shaved in the shower on occasion and while the shave was "OK" the logistics were a P.I.T.A. for me.
    I very much need a mirror or like Lexicon Devil said it will be a "BloodBath"!!! The need to carry in and then back out all your equipment everytime you shave. No place to put anything. Making my lather in a running shower was kind of a pain. Then the "WORST" part, I use up all the Hot Water!! That doesn't make SWMBO happy no matter how smooth and irritation free my face is...:happy097:

JRod22 and ohpaos like this.
  5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I used to do it with a cartridge razor and canned gel. A suction cup mirror is pretty easy to throw in there but the rest of the logistics for traditional shaving seem a little too much for me.

6. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

that was exactly how i did it for years.

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hi, I'm Richgem, and I'm a shower shaver! I use an (allegedly) fog-free mirror (they never work) and since I have a lot of shelf space in my shower, I keep everything right there at hand and make lather in the shower.

Queen of Blades and ohpaos like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Since I really like to take my time, it would just waste way too much water to shave in the shower.

9. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

You're right about that. When I did this with a cartridge razor, I could be done in about 3 minutes. The half-hour I now take would be downright wasteful.

ohpaos likes this.
  10. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Member

I do sometimes shave in the shower. Use a Trac II and just regular shower gel and no mirror. The Trac II is very forgiving and I just sort of feel the areas that need to be shaved. I use generic, store brand blades that work well @ 10 for $3.49 as opposed to 10 for $14.00 for Gillette. 4 or 5 uses per blade. So far no cuts or nicks, a little razor burn but not much. Not a substitute for a good shave at the sink but good enough to go to work at a part time retirement job.

ohpaos likes this.
  11. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

When I did shave in the shower it was alway with a disposable plastic BIC . No mirror, shampoo for soap.(god it was wonderful , NO NO BAD JOHN)
    Now would never try it with a DE or Straight, even with a mirror.

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

In a past life, I used to be a shower shaver. I would use a Mach 3 and a bar of Ivory soap. I just soaped up my face and went to work. I didn't use a mirror and just went by feel.

Now I shave after the shower. I get a better, more enjoyable shave with less irritation in less time than I did.

13. ksb63

ksb63 Active Member

Occasionally still will, just grab de and start mowing it down. I still would rather shave after at a more leisurely pace with a nice soap.

14. benjiboy

benjiboy Member

Sounds too dangerous for me!

15. Glenn S

Glenn S New Member

I shave in the shower but I do have a ritual before I get in. I put the hottest water I can get into a mug and drop my brush in. I shampoo and wash and then begin my shaving with wetting down my face well, applying pre-shave oil and then pour the water from my mug, put in a dab of shaving cream and lather up with the hot water in the brush. I do have a mirror in the shower and always rub a semi-soapy finger over it to clear the fog. I shave with my straight razor for two passes. I am still developing my technique with a SR and get the places that still need some attention (chin, under nose) with a cartridge razor. This does take a good 20 mins but I am smart enough to check with my wife before so I know if there is going to be a hot water issue.

16. Schwank

Schwank Member

Hi, Im a head shaver and I used to shower shave all the time. Mostly at the gym so it was someone else's hot water lol. I used a shick hydro5, the blades lasted well, but I was lured to the DE safety razor side. it took a few months of re-learning to shave before I cold start shaving in the shower again with confidence. I use "head slick" in the shower with no brush, Ive also used C.O. Bigelow with no brush. I find not using a brush gives me a slicker more forgiving barrier for when Im shaving by feel without a mirror. I'm currently using a ball end tech, with a derby blade and I get BBS shaves every time. I actually find it easier in the shower because im shaving with one hand, and feeling the progress with the other.