Silly question on soap use

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Cutthroat_trout, Jan 24, 2008.

1. I know probably been asked before. How do you use shave soap ? Cream is obvious but how do I use soap with a brush ? :o Should I expect it to foam ? Do all soaps behave in a similar manner.

Please dont let anyone else know I was asking such a silly question.

Lee

2. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hi Lee,

I soak my brush in hot water or run it under the hot tap water...shake a bit of hot water out...then swirl the brush on the soap puck about 10 times or so and then build the lather on my face.

Others like to soak the brush and let the hot water drain out of the brush and onto the soap to soften it up, then swirl the brush 10 times or so to load it then build the lather in a bowl or on the face with painting and swirling and pumping motions etc..

You can also add 1 or 2 tablespoons of hot water on top of the soap puck, let it sit for a while to soften the soap and then proceed as above...excess water can be poured into your lather bowl if you use a bowl to build lather in :)

Hope that helps.

Neale

3. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

The best way, IMO, is to use a mug! A big tea mug, a shaving mug, a Moss Scuttle or just a handy pot of choice

Load the [wet but not dripping] brush with soap by swirling it on the soap for 30-40 seconds. If you hold the soap over you mug of choice then the excess can pour into the mug too.

Then take your brush to your mug and begin to work a lather, this can take anyhing from 30 seconds to a fewminutes, depending on the characteristics of the soap. Continue with swirling and pumping motions until you have a rich, creamy lather. Be careful not to add too much water to begin with, add a few drops when you feel it's nessecary. You will see when you've found the correct water/soap ratio.

4. Great - Thats what I needed to know. Can we delete this thread now ? :o
    I am as insecure as the next guy

5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Hopefully others will pitch in more tips, and it can be of use to more people! Not everyone is bold enough to ask...

6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

search in Shave School for "lathering"

See THIS

also search for face lathering, soap lathering, creams.......
    there is mucho info available.
    Plus.
    We're here to help ;)

7. I picked up a bowl of C&E in a wood bowl - I assume I can warm wet the brush as aforementioned technique ? I hate to think I need to remove the soap from the wood bowl.

Lee

8. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

That is why I like the mug technique, I "heat" my mug before the shave. I fill the mug with hot water from the tap, put my brush and razor in there let both soak and warm up during my shower. When I have showered, I empty the mug of water, shake the excess water out of the soaked brush and start my procedure, as mentioned above, then I get warm(-ish) lather for my shave when I work up the lather.

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Good thing you took this question away from The Haul thread. That's a big topic, lots of advice and styles to lathering technique. We would have gotten so off track, I might have gotten fired! :eek:

Don't worry, your secret is safe with all 725 members of TSD. ;)

10. Queen - you are so reasuring - I was worried that everyone would see that I dont know everything ! So - with these wood bowl soaps can I use them as directed without worry ? I know I know I over think this stuff.

11. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Oh, you should take a look at mantic's video tutorials too;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ezJNJfygw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7Aj9vwrtc&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXVxXvv_8yk&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVPqFNObhEI&feature=related[/ame]

Mantic's all videos!

12. Queen of Blades

Use the bowl, Luke............

errr...

I mean, yep the bowl will survive being wet, Lee. ;)

Don't let anyone know, but I don't know everything either. shhhhhhhh.................... ;)

13. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Lee, if you don't know, how are you GOING to know? Ask away, my friend! Oh, and you DID notice that you got just a few legit answers to a legit question, didn't you? It's why we're here.

14. Queen of Blades

To provide just a few legit answers? :rolleyes:

15. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Huh? I'm sure he'll get more.

16. Queen of Blades

Just picking on you, Michael. :o

Guess I'll go pick on Johan instead. He needs some love. :p

17. Queen - The Rose Garden soap is lovely as well ! I used it this morning to start the day.

18. Queen of Blades

Good to hear, Lee! ::

19. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

There is no such thing as a silly question. I had a similar one when I started wet shaving.

20. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl