Silver Toggle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

It just occurred to me that, even though a gold Toggle will fetch big bucks (an uncased one just sold on the bay for $181), a rare silver one would potentially go for much more. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the gold plating done over nickel? So, what's to stop an unscrupulous seller from stripping the gold and then passing it off as the rare nickel plated Toggle? What year(s) were the nickel Toggles made?

Now just to play devil's advocate to my own question, is it even really that dishonest to remove the gold since they started out the same? The only real difference is that the gold version went through an additional plating process.

2. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Well, there are physical differences between them such as the silver toggle is shorter than my gold one (the actual toggle is what makes it shorter), the adjuster ring is different, the gold toggle has a red dot above the adjuster, and the inside tray is different. My silver one is a F4, same as Achim's
    Here are a couple pics of Achim's toggles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Rick are you on an undercover misson for the re-platers? :happy102

Nice try but as Scottydoint said the razors are completely different.

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Actually they aren't the same, I don't know from personal experience, but I have seen the pictures. The toggle lever on the silver one is shorter for one, I don't know if there are other differences. That would be hard to tell in an ebay listing, but it could definately be identified as fraud by a collector.
    edit: late to the party, but yeah...

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

All righty then! That answers that -- at least for the knowledgeable collector. I still wouldn't put it past somebody trying this with a Toggle that already had some heavy gold plating loss. Thanks for the pics, Scott.

6. sas71

sas71 Member

what exactly is the purpose of the toggle?

7. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

It opens and closes the doors. I think it is really neat and it insures that the doors are always locked down all the way unlike the tto.

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

These are way beyond neat. This is the coolest razor Gillette ever made, IMHO.

9. sas71

sas71 Member

well that clears that up

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I really wish I had jumped on the pair (silver and gold) that CSR sold a while back. One of each and it went for just over $200. :eek:

11. mmack66

mmack66 Member

What happened to the margins?

12. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

large pictures stretch them out unfortunately.

13. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

I have a silver toggle, as a matter of fact it is the only toggle I have. I always thought it was a common razor, and no different than a gold one, except for the color.

Actually, I just got up to fetch it, and remembered I gave it to my son. Damn kid probably sold it by now!!

14. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

You're kidding, right?

15. rollsshaver

Nope......

You could always send him a PM and see if he still has it. Damn kid would sell his own kids if you offered him enough!!

BTW, my son is known online as jfever311. He is a member here, but only get on once in a while. Between having a full time job, a blossoming secondary career as a writer, and a family. He does not have much time to play anymore.

16. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Does he have an ebay account? I bought mine off of ebay a few months ago.

17. rollsshaver

Yup...................

18. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Hmmm. do you know what it is? If I saw the sellers name I would probably remember. I know it was a buy it now for around $75.

19. rollsshaver

It would have been jfever311. That is the SN he uses on every site he is on.

20. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Ok, then it wasn't him.