Simpson should be ashamed of themselves for this razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, May 29, 2012.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Things are getting a little too heated in this thread. Please keep the discussion civil.

2. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

I don't think it's a matter of bashing anyone...but the razor is identical to a sabi that can be had for much less.....there isn't even a question of perceived value here...look at the OP pic, and now look at this one....same razor...and the Sabi is $14

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    O.K. Simpsons is not the first to have done something like this. So impressions everyone, who has the better razor, the Simpson's Sabi or Rooney's Parker (EJ knockoff)?

In Rooney's defense, the Parkers made for Rooney seemed to have gone through stricter QC than is the norm for Parker, (based on reviews and observations of the razor) though the quality was below that of Edwin Jagger razors.

4. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Having purchased both Sabi and Parker products, I can say that the everything about the 3 piece Parkers are better. That being said, I would have to cast my vote to Rooney.

I do like the new Taiwan made solid brass handles from Sabi, as they are solid but the heads are very poorly made (I toss them and only buy for the handles). The Simpson razor is using the cheaper resin handle, so any improvement that you may have with the more solid handle will not be present in the Simpson razor.

The only salvation that Simpson may have is if they use a better quality head, which is impossible to tell from the photograph posted on their website.

At first glance the Parker heads appear to be a knock off of the R89/DE89 head but they are actually more aggressive. The only razor to have bitten me was the Parker 94R "Hefty". Not even the 2011 Mühle R41 gave me a nick, but that Parker, ouch!!! It took about three shaves to find the angle that worked best for that razor.

I guess the only way to know which razor is better is for someone to try each, but at those prices, it will not be me.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

I have to agree. Companies like Tradere, iKon, Weber have proven than you can make a CNC product, and sell it for a profit and still be less than many Vintage pieces. They could even contract out to a Asian manufacturer that does OEM work such as the company that builds the sabi...and still have a original product... I know if someone was to build a modern Stainless Steel version of Gillette NEW, I would be all over that razor...

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I think the main complaint was simply that we all expected more from Simpson's than to pick a lower end razor when we've all pretty much come to expect good things from their brushes. There is a $30 delta involved for a cheap silkscreen o the name (Not the logo even).

Simply put, there were higher quality profitable options the could have gone with. IMO it would have been better to just pass on a razor that didn't deliver a comparable level of class to their brushes, price aside. Even if they lowered the price of the razor, I think that the Sabi, while effective, lacks the oompf that Simpson's brushes are synonymous with. I like the Lord L6 a lot, but I'd be just as put off if Simpson stamped one and sold it as a Simpson.

PLANofMAN, NoobShaver and IAmTheJody like this.
  7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Personally I would have liked to see either a DE87 or Ivory Chatsworth with the Simpsons logo. Quality manufacturing, made in England as Simpsons are, proven performance and the same colors to match Simpsons brushes to boot!

NoobShaver and battle.munky like this.
  8. battle.munky

Yes, that would be apt in my opinion, I just didn't want to get on the EJ/Muhle superiority kick (even though I completely subscribe to that school of thought). Just something with a bit more prestige than Sabi.

NoobShaver likes this.
  9. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Oh there's literally many other companies that make quality DE's, don't get me wrong. But I had the thinking really that it's England's premiere brush manufacturer - why not use an Edwin Jagger since they're close to home?

NoobShaver likes this.
  10. battle.munky

Absolutely, Justin.

11. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

that's what got me, too. the illustration that keeps coming back to me when I think about this, is of a grade-A top-notch high school senior that settles for the local junior college when he could have had a full ride scholarship to a university.

battle.munky likes this.