Single edge shaving

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Vanharley, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Vanharley

Vanharley New Member

I have been double edge wet shaving for many years and I would now like to give the single edge razors a go. I do not hardly see any (especially new) single edge razors for sale - why is that? For those of you that shave both DE and SE, which is considered superior and why? Where might I find a good selection of SE razors (not blades)?
    Please advise and thank you in advance.

~Van

Keithmax, TobyC, RyX and 2 others like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I wouldn't call either superior, they are just different from each other. Once learned, you can get a fine shave from either. The SE blades are stiffer and offer a different face feel than DE blades. Also, there are only a few different SE blades, while there is a huge selection of DE blades. For vintage SE razors, I would look at either ebay or etsy.

Keithmax, DesertTime, TobyC and 4 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I find I get quality shaves from either. My favorite shaving razor is probably an Ever-Ready 1914, but I have several SE and DE razors I enjoy. More new SE razors are coming out, but a lot of them use the Feather blades. I don't have any new SE razors, but they have a good following on here, so I am sure someone will point out some good options. I find vintage SE razors work well, though.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As said, neither is superior. Just depends on what you like.
    Try yard sales, flea markets and antique shops.

TobyC, PickledNorthern, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I use vintage SE razors and find the shaves to be as good as or better than DE razors. That is, they work quite well for me. Vintage Schick injector razors are my favorite and I typically get the best shaves from them.

Gem, Ever Ready, Schick, Personna are just some of the vintage brands to look for. Blade selection is quite limited, but the brands that are out there seem to work quite well on my face.

Your experience might be totally different. However, these razors are cheap enough to give it a try.

markjnewcomb, Keithmax, TobyC and 3 others like this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

+1

TobyC and Jim99 like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Either one is a good choice proper technique of course is key. For me I personally like DE better or a 1924 Eveready Shovel head SE. Most Schick injectors for some reason give me a shave like a cart, that is to say not that close and somewhat irritating.:)

9. polishaver

polishaver Well-Known Member

I get a closer shave from my SEs than DEs, most think it's due to the stiffer blade.

TobyC likes this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I have two SE razors, a GEM Featherweight....
    IMG_0336.JPG
    And a GEM MicroMatic Open Comb...
    IMG_0979.JPG
    I found both at a fleamarket here in Central NJ.
    Good Hunting!

TobyC likes this.
  11. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I love my SE razors, all vintage. Favorites are the 1912 (any 1912, GEM, Ever-Ready, Star, the GEM junior is a 1912 also) and the MMOC, although the 1924 Shovelhead is great too, either round comb or square comb, doesn't matter.
    You can't compare DE to SE, it's a different experience, but a good one. :happy088:

12. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I should warn you however, some of the squat head 1912's have the blade farther forward over the comb and they are much more aggressive. They are fairly uncommon though, you could buy 50 '12's and probably not find one.

13. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

And you can still find them dirt cheap on the bay.

14. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I've come to really like the Artist Club style SE razors, the Colonial Brass General especially. But my Parker Variant still rocks. It'll come down to personal preference, as it usually does.