Single rings

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jrdelgado, May 19, 2018.

1. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. I thought I had better let you all in on my problem. I am a single ring addict. I like all of the Gillette OLD razors but the thin cap single ring has my attention. I have 6 of them. I shave with every one of them. I have my rotation of other razors which are fantastic, but I find myself reaching for the single ring more and more. I have 2 with bent teeth, no matter they shave great. Missing silver, still shave well. I think that Mr. Gillette hit a home run right out of the gate with them. What a great razor. I guess I just wanted to tell you how I felt about them. Do any of you have the same problem??or, is it really a problem at all?

battle.munky, brit, Enrico and 5 others like this.
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I see no problem, the first Gillette was the best Gillette! And I'm pretty sure it's the only razor designed by King Gillette, therefore it's the only true Gillette razor ever made!!! We're talking about the "100", and the "102", and really the "102A" too, since it was just a beefed up "102".

Shave on my friend. :happy096:

3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I love the Single Rings also. I have 5 and always have one in my rotation. Many folks find them to aggressive but I don't. Not mild but yet a good ole solid shave. Mine work best when paired with a Plat Lux.

Jim99, Frijolero, TobyC and 1 other person like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Based upon what I've read William Nickerson deserves most of the credit for transforming Gillette's concept into the razor that resembles the production razor. The difference between these two patent designs is Nickerson's work. The design of the a workable blade technology was 100% Nickerson. Gillette did not himself have a working prototype at the time of his initial 1899 patent design. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Str8on2, Jim99, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have several Olds, but I only have one Single Ring. It has a bit of plate loss on the cap, but it is a great shaver. And, I have one Double Ring. Woo-hoo! Love that one too. For now, I am satisfied with one DR and one SR.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jack19, Str8on2, battle.munky and 8 others like this.
  6. Jrdelgado

I have a couple cases but I don’t have a complete case, Razor, and blade holders. All of mine are users. Still nice looking. My double ring is also a user. I have been using ghost town barber lately and love the performance.

Jorvaljr, Frijolero and TobyC like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

early canadian single ring on left and mond extra on the right. 20180520_210719.jpg

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No problem. Problem is people who think other types of DE are better. Never used a double ring. My1908 single ring is a favorite DE though.

Jrdelgado and Frijolero like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

they are nice razors,love the balance and weight of them,plus the silver plating. i find them somewhat aggressive and don t use them often.same as my old types.i like my new deluxe and rfb more at present.maybe a newer style blade thing,lack of use who knows. rfb a favorite at present next to my crats and rockets. i would call myself an aristocrat addict.wanting an oc british or u.s. aristocrat to complete the bunch.

Jrdelgado, Frijolero and Jayaruh like this.
  10. Jack19

Jack19 Member

OP in honor of your addiction I will dig out my 1905 SR this morning. lol

11. Jrdelgado

You should post pictures!

12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am not a Single Ring addict, but this thread inspired (enabled, compelled) me to seek one out. I had a really nice Big Fellow that I sold, so I perhaps know what to expect. We'll see.
    s-l1600-3.jpg

Str8on2, battle.munky, brit and 4 others like this.
  13. Jrdelgado

Wow that is a nice set! Good luck on finding another!

Primotenore likes this.
  14. Primotenore

Article Team
    One at a time my friend...:)

Jrdelgado likes this.
  15. Primotenore

Article Team
    Memorial Day, May 27
    [​IMG]

First shave with the SR. Lot's of blade feel; easy to maneuver; nice balance; very similar feel to my old Big Fellow (sold) albeit much lighter and nimble. The razor I acquired, after polishing it up with Flitz is stunning. The case is in outstanding condition. (I hope it's original to the razor) The blade holder is scratch-free and also shiny. There was probably another blade holder originally, now missing. I will be on the lookout for one. This razor is a keeper.

16. Jrdelgado

That looks great! Thank you for the picture!

Primotenore likes this.
  17. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Are you gents using regular blades in the Single Rings? Or, do you need special blades or shims? I have a Canadian SR, and a USA "G" inside a "D" SR on its way to me from France. I would like to try them, but I have been worried about whether regular blades would work.

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Regular blades work fine. I don't notice much of a difference with a shim..easy enough to try both.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Primotenore and mvd like this.
  19. Jrdelgado

I use Astra SP in all my razors with no issues at all.

mvd likes this.
  20. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Regular modern blades, no shims. Feathers fit tighter on the pins than most other blades, will need little to no manual alignment.

mvd likes this.