Sittin on the dock of the Bay

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by white_feather, Dec 28, 2012.

1. white_feather

white_feather Active Member

I was perusing the Bay and since I am solely a 1912 shaver I cannot believe that some idiots think they can get $170 for their 1912 Star. Granted I do want one in mint condition sometime next year, I am not paying nearly that much PERIOD. I am astonished! If I knew how to spell appalled I would say that i appalled but I can't spell appalled so I will leave it at astonished.

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

It's not much better with the Gillette NEW's kicking around that are in remarkable condition with box and blade case! Then you realize its a black superspeed sitting in that case and a blade holder that looks like it was dug up during an excavation on the old Western Front. Like i'll pay $100 for that!

3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It is not those selling razors at stratospheric prices who are the idiots, but those who buy them at insanely high prices. It seems most of the buyers have smartened up recently, along with many sellers. The result is that the vintage razor bubble is starting to implode. With so many new safety razors now available, that is no surprise.

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I've actually put a few "Make offers" in at a REASONABLE price, and every time the person has come back saying no way the razor is worth more. I don't bother communicating past that point. Low and behold they stay unsold and get put back up again at the same price. I think I've seen a Bulldog set up there for 6+ months at the same insane price.

5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Those sellers likely paid ridiculous amounts for the razors and are unwilling to face reality. They are living in denial, but denial and rationalization won't change anything. The inflated prices brought a glut of vintage razors, which still exist in vast quantities, onto what was always a limited market. Wetshaving is also evolving from a hobby into something mainstream. Under those conditions, high prices were never sustainable over the long term.

6. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

1912 razor, this is 2012. 100yrs old. At a 1$ a year 100$ seems fair!
    Or
    Think of it as 2 tanks of gas. What will last longer the razor or the gas?

JRod22 likes this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The prices have gotten more insane over the last two years that I've been wet shaving! You have to be patient and hunt. Fair pricing is still out there.....:)

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    To be more specific, it's a 1912 Patent Date stamped on the razor, and the razors were made for several decades after 1912. Two years ago, the high price was $30-$50, and shaver grade sold for $3-$12 all day long. Prices for Fatboys have done similar things, but at least there is some justification there as those razors were produced for what, 4-5 years only?

9. Daryl Wilson

Daryl Wilson New Member

I got a GEM Junior 1912 that looks like the Star, Did GEM make the Star also? Mine is not mint but it's really nice no chrome loss and no rust at all, I would consider it near mint.

10. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Newbie question here. Just curious to what "shaver grade" and/or "user grade" means. Have seen those terms tossed around when reading about vintage razors. Thanks!

11. Daryl Wilson

Daryl Wilson New Member

I think it means, a razor that has some plating rubbed off and brass showing in places, not really a show piece but still usable as a shaver. At least that is what I've always thought, never asked anyone, but "YMMV" means , ""your mileage may vary"" I had to ask on that one.

JRod22 likes this.
  12. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

When I see items on the Bay that have an outrageous price, I just look at it as they really don't have any intention of selling that item. I believe that they are using the bids to see what others consider the value of that item, because they don't have any idea what to charge or expect.

JRod22 likes this.