Skin irritation after shaving

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Leisureguy, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

When a newbie complains about skin irritation when shaving with a DE safety razor, I think of a checklist:

1. Allergic reaction --- shaving cream or soap or aftershave
    2. Wrong blade---blade is too harsh or sharp
    3. Too much pressure on the razor
    4. Blade angle too steep, scraping the skin
    5. Adjustable set too agressively (e.g., Futur at 5.5)

Obviously, the cause can be any combination of these---or something else. But these are the ones to eliminate first.

1. Allergic reaction: Does it happen regardless of which shaving cream or soap you use? If you skip the aftershave, does it still happen? Try a test: rub some of the shaving cream or soap or aftershave on the inside of your forearm and let it sit for a while.

2. Wrong blade: If you change blades, does it still happen? If you change the brand of blade, does it still happen?

3. Too much pressure: Is the irritation localized? (For example, on one cheek and not the other; on one side of the neck and not the other; just on the neck, not on the cheeks.) If so, it's probably not an allergic reaction, but rather how you're wielding the razor---unconsciously applying more pressure in that one area (when you reach to the other side of your face, or on the same side as the hand you're using, or when you're shaving against the grain on your neck).

4. Wrong blade angle: Much the same questions as for too much pressure---and often the problem is combined with too much pressure. If you're having problems holding the razor in certain areas, you are likely to both use too much pressure and have the blade at the wrong angle. The cure for both is to use short strokes so you can focus on the pressure AND the blade angle for the entire stroke.

5. Adjustable too aggressive: I just recently thought of this possible cause. Obviously, this can be combined with others (e.g., wrong blade, too much pressure). Start with the adjustable set way low, and advance it only as you must to get a good shave.

I thought this little checklist might be useful as a starting point.

brit likes this.
  2. Will

Will Nevermind

Thanks, take our jobs away of helping newbies with the very well thought an infromative post. Stick this and close the Forum, we are no longer needed. :rolleyes:

What I am trying to say is GREAT ADVICE LG!!!! :D

3. herzi

herzi Active Member

Thanks for the advice. It's very useful.

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Great guideline, Michael, you really know yer stuff! ::

5. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Can't the razor have something to do with the irriation? In my case it did.

6. Will

Will Nevermind

See I don't know about that, unlees the razor is damaged or ill manufactured.

The razor is not shaving you the blade is.

The way you use a particular razor may vary and that can cause irritation, I know a Slim dialed to 9 is more agressive then a Super Speed.

7. minderasr

minderasr Member

I'd like to add it could be skin type as well. I cannot shave everyday if I wanted to (and I do want to!). My skin gets irritated no matter what. I even tried a 2 pass daily shave rather than the 3 pass/bbs and it didn't help. Something I've dealt with all of my life.

My 2ยข, fwiw.

brit likes this.
  8. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

If this is true how then do we account for Gillette's attitdue with their terrible cartridge razors? Do they know something we don't?

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Not completely sure I understand your question, but I'll give it a go.

Gillette wants to make money, and they do that now by making poor schmucks buy expensive cartridge refills. And their marketing scheme that "More is better". So, 1 blade? Ha, no you need 2 blades! 2 blades?? Whatever, 3 is even better! And so on and so on.

Gillette is not interested in giving you a comfortable shave. Just making money.

10. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Another cause, as was the case for me, is beard growth. I was shaving my neck straight down, and had bad irritation on my lower neck. I have had this irritation since I started shaving. Since joining this forum, I have started shaving the bottom half of my neck upward, and the irritation is gone.

brit likes this.
  11. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I had the same problem

Here's to clean, smooth, non-irritated lower necks :eatdrink004

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Your close queen. What I am saying is that Gillette''s approach seems to be one blade for all people where as Michael is saying that no one blade can be all things to all people. I am attempting to put the two together and having a hard time of it.

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Well I'd be more likely to believe Michael, personally. He certainly isn't making huge profit margins by sharing his advice. :D

14. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

JB,

Think about it. Gillette has one goal, make money not making shaves comfortables. If they wanted to make shaves comfortable they would listen to what consumers had to say about their product. Media bombarment to include celebrities has an effect on a percentage of the male/female population. If X celebrity uses the Fusion then it must be good. Heck even Tiger Woods jumped on the wagon. Thanks to wet shaving forums, slowly we are changing the views and attitudes of the male and female population to demonstrate there are many other options on the market. It is quite simple really, you have found that there is a better way to shave. Now you have the opportunity to try many blades and razors not to mention soaps and creams. Somewhere in that journey you will find the combination that works best for you. Most impotant enjoy your shaves and have fun.

Raf

brit likes this.
  15. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have heard from another forum where one of the members worked for Proctor and Gamble's Gillette who I asked about the offical line from time to time. I was able to get the offical word without having to spend days hunting for the info. He would say the offical line was that market reasearch had been done that indicated to the company that more blades were better than fewer blades and since P&G is in the business of making dollars that what they did. I have always found that if you put an object on the market people will buy it wether it is good or not. Another person at another forum would say that somewhere along the lines of product development the industry lost site of the customer. Emphasis used to be on getting the customer a better product for a better price, somewhere along the lines that changed to make a buck first anad formost.

16. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

This is on a side note, but today i shaved with my Full Wedge razor, and it tore up my face. I have razor burn pretty much all around. I dont use any more pressure than I use with my other razors. Dont know what went wrong..i hope i dont have to get rid of this blade.

17. rablat

rablat Guest

Amen to that. I have been wet shaving now for about a 5 weeks.
    And for the 1st time in say 20 some years of shaving, I look forward to it.
    I can actually see an improvement in my skin.
    As well as no irritation on my lower neck depending on my technique (which needs improvement I am sure)and blade.

18. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Wedges are different blade. Understand that there is more edge and weight behind it. The weight of the wedge is going to do the cutting. When a wedge is sharp and has good balance it is a thing of beauty. It takes a couple of shaves to get the feel for a wedge if you like them. I have used them and decided they were not for me just as I determined Feathers were too for my face. Use less pressure on your next shave.

Raf

19. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Yeah...i basically just let the weight of the blade do the work. It tore the hell out of my face. Nothing like the shave I got with the Filly. Man...now that was a great shave.

20. Padron

Padron Active Member

Could be a wire edge? do you have a microscope or a jewelers loupe?