skin

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by john jackson, May 14, 2016.

1. john jackson

john jackson New Member

why is it that only after i finish shaving my skin starts getting all moist, greasy, and oily????????????? why is that? is it hormone imbalance or something????? can someone please tell me whats going on. thank you.

2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

See a dermatologist

BigMike, AGHisBBS, Eeyore and 2 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm not a dermatologist...
    What products are you using?

BigMike likes this.
  4. john jackson

john jackson New Member

disposable razors that dont have a lubrication strip with gillette menthol foamy cream, why? rsvp

5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

As advised above; see a dermatologist.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

There is an acronym tossed around, "YMMV". It means Your Mileage May Vary. While Gillette makes many fine products, they may not be for everyone. I looked up the Materials Safety Data Sheet for Foamy Menthol Shave Foam. (click here for PDF file)
    They are required to list this information. Some of it may be of interest to you.

2. HAZARD IDENTIFICATION
    "Consumer Products", as defined by the US Consumer Product Safety Act and which are used as intended (typical consumer
    duration and frequency), are exempt from the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (29 CFR 1910.1200). This SDS is being
    provided as a courtesy to help assist in the safe handling and proper use of the product.
    This product is classifed under 29CFR 1910.1200(d) and the Canadian Hazardous Products Regulation as follows:.
    Skin corrosion/irritation Category 2
    Eye Damage / Irritation Category 2B
    WARNING
    Hazard Statements
    Causes skin irritation
    Causes eye irritation
    Precautionary Statements -
    Prevention
    Wear protective gloves
    Wash hands thoroughly after handling
    Precautionary Statements -
    IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of soap and water

If skin irritation or rash occurs: Get medical advice/attention
    Take off contaminated clothing and wash before re-use
    pH value 8.2 - 8.5

This is part of the reason those of us in the wet shaving community refer to these products as "canned goo". The pH level of the acid mantle on your skin is about 5.5, or slightly acidic (the pH scale is 1-14, with 7 being neutral, 1 being acidic, and 14 being alkaline). Ditch your alkaline products and find products that are, like your acid mantle, only slightly acidic. YMMV!

8. donald

donald Member

do you think that a dermatologist can find a solution without having to do electrolysis or laser hair removal in my case????????????? rsvp

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  9. Robyflexx

Yes

10. donald

donald Member

but like what? a special soap or something else? rsvp

11. Robyflexx

That or prescription medicated creams, it's pretty easy. One visit can usually diagnose and treat simple ailments.

Bama Samurai and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

If you use the search box you may find way back in the early days of this forum, there was a guy who started a thread, called it,
    " Does This Look Infected?" (hint; don't do it :rolleyes005:)
    or something like that. If you had a little irritation, or some razor burn folks have offered helpful advice. On the other hand you may be experiencing a serious medical condition that ought to be looked at by a Professional. It's your call on how much you are suffering.

May your Health Insurance be Affordable ;)

whiteboy_cannon and Robyflexx like this.
  13. donald

donald Member

well i tried the soap and it didnt work that he prescribed! its almost as though after shaving the human skin has to secrete oils for some reason, does this make sense? rsvp

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

There is a common problem affecting many new wet shavers. When using a cartridge razor they learn to press the razor to their face. That's how those cartridges are made to be used.
    When rediscovering the Art of Placing Sharp Things close to the skin you may have to ease off. There is the motion of moving the razor across the skin. That is still there. But with Double Edge, Single Edge, & especially Straight razors pressing the tool to the face can and will cause problems. Now it's more like gently wiping the soap lather off, and the beard goes with it.
    While I'm not sure that's what you are doing - the goal of all this is to reduce your beard. If it can be done without harming your skin, why that's great too!
    I'm not a Doctor, and can't offer medical advice. I can ask rhetorical question. Could your oily skin be a factor of your diet? I know if I eat fried foods at lunch I sweat vegetable oil later that day. Or possibly environmental. Do you work in or near airborne oily substances?
    I know you came here seeking advice, but you just might be an unusual case. That's why those folks go to school a couple more years, to be called Doctor.

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. john jackson

john jackson New Member

so then laser hair removal or electrolysis would be a last resort only if they did everything humanly or medically possible and all else fails then? rsvp

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You know all soap is, by its very nature, alkaline, right? That's part of why it's slick.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I did not know that. My father's a chemist, so I've been hearing all this stuff for decades. I'm just a carpenter. And an auto mechanic. Teacher. Gardner, concrete finisher, roofer, electrician, hunter/gatherer, map maker, somewhere between a cook & a chef.

I'm working my Renaissance Skill Set.
    Aproximate knowledge.gif

Bama Samurai likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

I'm a picker, I'm a grinner, I'm a lover, I'm a sinner....make my music in the sun... ;)

I haven't decided what to be when I grow up yet, but currently spend lots of time with farmers, ranchers, and the land. But seriously, I knew nothing of soap chemistry before this traditional shaving thing. It's amazing the ground we cover on TSD.

RyX likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Maybe....since shaving removes the hair, there are no hair shafts left on the face to soak up oil, so it collects on the surface? Same amount of oil, but distributed differently?

I am not a doctor, just a redneck...but oily skin is sometimes a sign that your skin is actually too dry and in need of a moisturizer. Try some balm, or even a lotion like Cetaphil for a bit after you shave. It may help clear it up.

Last edited: May 19, 2016