Skunkworks Brush Project - New Tuxedo Synthetic Knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by JR Reyes, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Big help-thanks @RyX. I think I'll begin with the face-lathering route. When you say "loading the soap"(and of course I've seen that term a million times in here), is that also presuming the soap is hard right out of the gate?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

"Loading the soap" is a general term. If you are using a hard soap, get the brush wet, shake out most of the water, and get a little aggressive against the puck. If it's a softer soap or a tube of cream/ creme you can go easy, or squeeze the tube. Biggest issue I had learning to make lather was not using enough product. Don't be afraid to make too much. And you need some soap, then add water a little at a time. If you make too much lather, leave it in a covered container for next shave.

Fumble fingers post via Kyocera / Tapatalk (subject to later editing)

Paul Turner and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Much appreciated. Right, I can tell that most of you do use perhaps more lather than needed. It's like seeing lather with a handle!! But at the same time, I know you guys work hard at getting it just right. I think my first go at it will be with the Williams I recently bought, so I'll go aggressive right off. Would you say that Stirling soaps, for instance, are "soft"(I mean, I imagine them to be softer than Williams)?

RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Hard soap would compare to a regular bath bar. Soap might even be dryer if triple milled, those are near moistureless and flake or crumble. I've only had a small sample of Stirling, and it was softer.

Fumble fingers post via Kyocera / Tapatalk (subject to later editing)

5. Paul Turner

hmm..I better wait til I get something from Stirling...maybe too risky to potentially ruin a low-level brush(Burma Shave)over hard soap.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

You can moisten a hard soap, just dribble some water over the puck. If your brush is Vintage it may drop a few bristles anyways. The glue dries up and looses it's grip.

7. Paul Turner

I'll try it once and see what happens(on the Williams)., If it doesn't work, I'll just wait for a softer brand. If it does, I'll figure I got away with it. Even if it does, William s won't be my one and only shave soap.

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've heard Williams is difficult to work up into a lather. Don't let that deter you from trying!

9. Paul Turner

I won't, but.,..someone on here implied that, as did someone on a Williams video. Halfway into the video, he said "So far, I'm disappointed with this soap!". Can you imagine someone doing a video for a softer soap and saying "This thing stinks!", lol.

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  10. Paul Turner

I'll do it a week from tomorrow.....I'll announce it Saturday on the "Sunday's Planned Shave". You've been a great help-if you think of anything else, please let me know.

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  11. Paul Turner

.....and now, an update..it IS tricky to get a lather, but I'll keep going with it. It's slowly getting "bubbly".

Terry Williams and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

About the only way that I've able to get yogurt out of Williams Mug Soap is with a boar brush, a bowl, lots of water and lots of time. All of that and the stuff smells like Citronella. I wanted to love this stuff because of the name, but I actually end up a little embarrassed.

13. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

Sterling is not a hard soap in my opinion. I've used it with a vintage brush with no problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

14. Paul Turner

I just had my first shave with Noxema Aloe&Lanolin cream. First thing that came to mind when it came out was-Stirling looks like this!!

RyX likes this.