Slant DE?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by boyextraordinare, Mar 29, 2009.

1. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Never used one - am getting curious.

How exactly does it work? What exactly does it do?

I'm looking into a new razor. It'll either be the 38C or the Slanted Equiv.

I get top-notch shaves out of standard DEs so I think a slant might be worthless.

I don't really understand what they do that makes them, in ppl's eyes, better than standard DEs...

Can someone please explain?

Thanks,

Kaveh :) :)

2. Justin Low

Justin Low Member

From what I read, the Slant provides rigidity to the blade via torsion, as opposed to tension on a 'regular' DE.

I'm not convinced that either approach is intrinsically better than the other. However, the blade exposure and gap on the Slant is greater compared to the HD, which account for the additional aggression.

In use, I find that I can get a DFS consistently from the HD with minimal irritation, but the Slant has so far resulted in poorer results, both in closeness and irritation.

Given that I'm only in my second month of using DEs, I'd put this down to a lack of technique. So far now, I've put the Slant aside till I gain more experience.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Slant schmant get a Gem and be done with it. Viva La Revolution.:D

4. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

should i say more? nah.

;)

5. Will

Will Nevermind

6. riffin

riffin Active Member

The slant also positions edge off perpendicular with repsect to the handle. So when you move the razor with the handle parallel to the direction of motion, the blade makes a slicing motion slightly diagonally across the hair, as opposed the dead on chopping motion. This is supposedly more effective at cutting the hair.

I perfer to use a slant stoke with a non-slant razor. Mantic has dubbed this The Gillette Slide because it is described in some shaving intructions included with a Gillette razor. The idea is to move the razor in a direction that is slightly off parallel with the handle. I like to have more control over the slice angle.

It has also been said that a slant hold the blade at a different planar angle with respect to the face, making it more aggressive. I haven't compared that aspect with non-slants, but I do agree that slants toend to be more aggressive.

It is certainly worth a try. Lots of people like them. And in this buisness, YMMV, is more than just a four letter word..