Slant or R41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kenshomi, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Kenshomi

Kenshomi Member

@sharpspine what blade angle would you recommend I start with using the slant?
    Because of the slant and torqued blade I am trying to figure out what the handle to blade angle correlation is. A 30 degree blade angle would seem to have the handle at 90 from the face's surface ???

Mine came in the mail yesterday - looking forward to a Monday morning shave!

2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Initially I'd say just to hold it like any other DE. Kind of forget it's a different razor & just shave; don't over think it.

3. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I came into the new year expecting to try the slant, R41, or both, and expected to have acquired one of them by now. However, since then my Gillette New has really grown on me and become my top shaver, so now I am thinking of doubling down on that with the hefty BRW rig. So now I have 3 razors to get instead of one. My list keeps changing, and growing.

4. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

I think you'll be happy. I have used both and the slant works the best for me.

5. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

Yeah - I agree totally.

6. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

Got my R41 in today and first shave is in the books. Stopped at 2 passes normally do 3 but the feeling is a little intimidating. lots of good feedback from the blade and was able to get quite a good shave with only one tiny nick. The slant now has like 5 shave and it is quite pleasant and i will enjoy it for sure. The R41 is a beast i understand now.

battle.munky likes this.
  7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

With the R-41, I don't need a third pass. I don't even need to go perfectly ATG on my crazy oriented neck hairs, it just mows them down.

So, about that feeling of "hmmm, this is a little odd" that I know you're experiencing, just give it a little time and you'll figure it out. Getting used to the R-41's angle will get you to shaving bliss. I gave it a full month of no other razor and now I get zero irritation and pure comfort.

Enjoy and know that the intimidation will die off. By the time it does, you'll know what we're talking about. :D

8. apo1022

apo1022 Active Member

whew the r41 just took a bite out of me. This was my third shave with the razor. I work bad hours leave the house at 5:30am to return home at 8:30 pm well i shaved this morning with the r41 and hard a really decent shave minor irritation but no cuts. I guess i learned that the r41 is not a razor to use 16 hours apart. i have a good bit of weepers and some pretty bad irritation/razor burn. O well guess ill have to use the slant or futur when shaves are that close apart.

9. SharpSpine

Blade flex can be a B!

10. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe a stiffer or thicker blade may help with that. Check your inventory to see if any other blades would be appropriate.

Gibbled likes this.
  11. uk_HBer

uk_HBer Well-Known Member

R41 with iKon bulldog handle... beautifully balanced, and a real pleasure to use. Don't fear it, just use it with no pressure, and play with the angles, you'll soon feel what works for you... I enjoy using this as much as I do the Str8s. Can't recommend it any higher than that!! :)

battle.munky and IAmTheJody like this.
  12. mars

mars New Member

Someone mentioned early in this thread about getting an R41 for $30 shipped. What site is that from? Thx

13. SharpSpine

14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

15. mars

mars New Member

At Connaught, when I put the R41 grande in my cart and calculate shipping/conversion, etc.. is is almost 60 USD, not 30. Am I missing something?

16. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

He was probably talking about the R41, not Grande, which is around $37 shipped regular small packets from Connaught, depending where you live.

battle.munky likes this.
  17. SharpSpine

Yep, that's why the link in my last post takes you straight to the razor that would give you that price range, which in this case is the non-Grande version.

battle.munky likes this.
  18. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Actually that price kinda pisses me off LOL. I ordered from a Canadian vendor for $67 shipped. I FAIL!

19. SharpSpine

Yeah, I don't know how Connaught gets such lower prices. If they carried badger brushes then I think some stateside vendors would be in trouble.