Slants

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dave Paskowski, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

I was looking at a thread about the Merkur 39c HD and fell in love with the razor. So, I have a few questions about slants. What is the purpose of the slant? What benefits do slants offer over the regular DE razor? Is the shaving technique different then a regular DE ?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've heard it said it is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. If you want a slant effect, just twist your razor slightly, or use the Gillette Slide technique. I see it more as just a very aggressive razor. But it has its fans, and bottom line is that the only thing that matters is that they enjoy their shave.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

IMO They aren't that aggressive Steve. I had the 37c and it was a lot like the 34c, just slightly more efficient.

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I guess the theory is the twist in the blade makes it slice through the whiskers rather than chop through them but like Steve said, you can do that with any razor if you want. I have only used my 39c a total of a few weeks since I got it and I like it but I haven't found it any more efficient than several other normal DE's I have.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Perhaps I'm remembering from my days before improved technique. I did have a Slant for a while but sold it when I kept getting razor burn after using the Slant for three consecutive days.

PanChango likes this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The razor's safety bar, rather than perpendicular (90°) to the handle, the bar of a slant is angled. Why? To create a 'slicing' action with the razor's edge through the whiskers. An oblique blade cuts more like a slicing sword than a 'chopping' motion of a 90° blade.
    I mentioned the 'guillotine' in my 39c post. The rational and eventual implementation behind the oblique slope of the guillotine blade was after doing numerous cadaver tests with both the oblique & 'straight' blades. With a downward stroke of the blade (think shaving here), the straight blade tended to crush, or not completely sever, while the oblique blade 'accomplished the job' more efficiently and cleanly. :eek:
    [​IMG]

In my limited slant-use experience, I've found the slant bar razors (SLR) have given me the closest shaves ever—and with the fewest passes. As Steve mentioned, you can supposedly get a similar effect with the 'Gillette slide' slicing action. I haven't been that fortunate in achieving the same results using the 'slide' as I get with the slant bar. Plus, one uses the same 'standard' technique with the slant bar as you would with any other razor—no special moves, glides or slides. A light touch is recommended when starting (Respect the razor!) as the SLRs do cut close!
    So far I've had no irritation—something that does occur with some shavers using a SLR, particularly when loaded with a very sharp (Feather & the like) blade.
    Two passes & a BBS shave was enough to convince me! ;)

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I used a Slant in the begining for a bit and also didn't find it to be better than a regular 3 piece razor...I think the Slant design is also supposed to make the blade stiffer. I just never saw any great improvement in my shave with one....:)

8. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I have had a 37c for over a year now. The slant gives me comfortable shaves but it's performance is "just OK" unless using sharper and pricier blades (feather, 7-oclock yellow, Polsilver, etc). Then it performs at the level of my New and Fatboy (setting 9) with less expensive Astras, Rapiras and Voskhods.

9. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've found what you're saying to be true as well. That's one of the things I've found puzzling about the slant. It seems if it actually slices rather than chops, it should work well with a blade that's not as sharp but it doesn't (at least for me).

DLreno likes this.
  10. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

My wife watched the Gillette Slide video with me last night. She said it would be cheaper to buy the Merkur 39c HD than pay the ER visits. :happy097:

battle.munky likes this.
  11. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

@ Dave Paskowski
    I suggest to buy a Slant as Merkur
    It's something different and don't be afraid is not so aggressive
    I have many Open Combs and that Slant is a pleasure change from time to time.

battle.munky likes this.