slants

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Flatfish, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

Two questions about Slants. (Since SWMBO won't let me have a straight)

1.To people who have owned the standard slant and the sledgehammer, which do you find to be the best? Is the sledgehammer a bit overkill?

2. My Slim and English Tech (which I appreciate is mild) doesn't seem to do a good job on my face. I suspect my hairs are a little tougher that I first thought. I have to make multiple passes with a lot of hacking and pulling blood and irritation even with a new blade. While I intend upgrading from Derbys to Crystals or maybe feathers. Would a slant be my best purchase? (I would consider myself to be beyond newbee status now).

Thanks
    Kristian

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

The blades your using may just not be sharp enough.

Come to think of it, the blades your using arent sharp enough. Especially since your using an adjustable slim and have the option to turn up the aggressiveness. You need to go out and try some of the sharper blades out there.

Also, theres a trillion other razors out there that are more aggressive than a tech and shave better than a slim. No need to get a slant. If anything, a regular HD is a nice all around workhorse.

3. JimR

JimR Active Member

What do you have your slim set on? I'm finding myself slowly crawling up the ladder, as the lower settings don't seem to catch all the little crannies...

And JayKay, what in your opinion shaves better than a slim? I'm thinking of moving on, and the Futur seems like a decent choice...

4. JayKay

I honestly just didnt like the slim at all. I never thought it shaved that well. It was PIFed to me by a nice member here and I PIFed it to a new member at some point that I dont believe I ever saw again after that.

On a regular basis I use an HD, Aristocrat, 50's SS, and super adjustable. They are all supurb shavers. I also pick up my fat boy on occasion.

5. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

I shall try some new blades. Would crystals be a step in the right direction?

So whats wrong with the Slant then?

thanks
    Kristian

6. JayKay

Its not that anything is wrong with a slant, its just that you are complaining about tugging and that is a problem with the blade, not the razor. Albeit, I dont like techs at all and think theyre to mild. The only thing that ever made a tech shave better for me was a feather, but it wasnt a smooth shave and I dont really like feathers. I also dont like crystals, and dont think theyre sharp either, although some people around here love them.

Gillette 7 o' clock yellow packs, astra superiors, gillette sweedes are all a step in the right direction and are sharp yet smooth. No use in wasting 40$ on a razor when a few dollars in blades could make all the difference.

7. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

I took your advice and received for Christmas some feathers, Gillette 7 O'clocks and a load of Astras.
    The situation has much improved as all are better than the Derby's I had been using in both razors.
    The feathers are sharp but a little rough.
    The 7 o clocks are ok, but the best by a country mile are the Astras. They are sharp and smooth. I didn't know what a smooth blade was until I tried the Astras. So now I have a pile of Derbys Feathers and 7 o clocks to use up. My father has also dumped a load of Derbys on me after he tried my Astras. Cheers Dad.
    I think one day in the fairly distant future I'll try a Slant anyway.
    Anyone in the UK want to exchange a pile of Derby's for a Merkur Slant?

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Another Astra convert. The plan is working :signs136

9. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

Okay. But where do you get Astras. I have checked several online stores to no avail. Thanks.

10. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Lots of guys get them here. It is overseas shipping, but those that have ordered have been satisfied and didn't complain too much about pricing. Not sure there is a specific location in the US where you can order them. There were a couple members who were selling them so you might check the BST too.

To the OP, I shave feathers in a slant and am very satisfied. I did not like Astras or 7'o yellows/greens. The Blacks however performed very well. Probably the best in fact.

11. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Did I hear slants? Oh the wonderful world of slants.

Paul is very reasonably priced on his slants and his shipping is top notch for across the pond.

Shaving essentials also carries them. Their site doesn't show any but if you email John he can tell you if he has any in stock. He has been the cheapest on the slants.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Slant schmant get a Gem...

Fuzzy

13. Truckman

Truckman New Member

check with JoAnna. I believe she has some, but hasn't been able to get them up on the store yet. Maybe she can help you out though.

14. rainman

rainman New Member

Oh yeah.