Slants

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lamontqsanford, Dec 1, 2008.

1. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I am a slant convert. Used to use all vintage gillette but the slant gives me the best shave. I just ordered a gold slant and a barberpole slant. I assume the gold won't be any different than the regular slant, besides finish. Any of you folks used both the regular and barberpole slant and which one do you like better and why?

2. Will

Will Nevermind

I have only used the regular slant, love it.

I even did a review.

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I have both the HD and Barberpole versions and I love them! The hand feel may be different, but the shaves are the same. Sometimes I like it light, sometime I want to "sledgehammer". Choices are good! :D

4. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

I'll agree with Rick on this one, they both shave great. The extra weight and length of the Barberpole took a pass or two to get used to though.

5. Smoke

Smoke New Member

I only use my Slant for head shaving daily. I have tried both versions, I found the HD to be quite slippery in wet hands, plus the shorter handle made it difficult to maintain a good blade angle when shave all the blind spots i.e.the back of my mellon! I ordered up the Sledge Hammer and have never looked back. The BP handle does not slip in wet hands. The longer handle has made it much easier to maintain a proper blade angle when shaving the blind spots. For you head shavers, you would hard pressed to find a razor that provides the shave the Slant delivers.

Regards,

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Tracy..if you want to try a real razor I would be happy to loan you a GEM. Never used a slant... but have heard several people say the GEM is better:D

Fuzzy

7. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I had one and really enjoyed it b/c of the incredible close shaves but we parted ways for whatever reasons a couple of months ago. I actually got rid of all my Merkurs and strictly Gillette man now ....except for the occasional injector shave:)

8. texquill

texquill Member

I've used both the barberpole 39C and the "regular" 37C slants. Although I enjoyed the additional heft of the larger barberpole, its size makes it a little more difficult to get in the area under my nose.

Consequently, after working with it for a couple of weeks, I sent the 39C on its way to a happier home, and I now use the smaller 39C exclusively.

9. Drew

Drew Member

I just received a slant, and am pretty sure that the edges on the top part are parallel, and therefore does not matter how you replace it after loading a new blade. However, initially I thought that both the handle/base AND the top part were slanted/angled, in which case there would be a "proper" (and consequently "improper") way to replace the top.

So, when replacing the top part, does it matter how it is done?

I hope this question is clear :confused:

regards,
    Drew

10. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

no it doesn't matter which way you put the top piece on.

11. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Bong is correct, it shouldn't matter which way you put the top piece on.

12. Drew

Drew Member

Thanks guys. I was beginning to go cross-eyed trying to stare that thing down :whacky098

13. tom myers

tom myers Member

Tracy, you may find that this isn't exactly true. Chrome plating has a much lower coifficient of friction than gold. You may notice two results of this. First is that the chrome plated razor may slide over your face with a little less drag. Second is that it also may tend to slip a little easier in your hand than the gold one.

Regards,
    Tom

14. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

My gold Slant is my everyday razor. What a nice shave! Once and awhile I'll use a Gillette but even the Red Tip doesn't compare. Would like to try a barber pole or a Hoffritz. Curretly use a Gillette for head shaving, had a bloodbath with the last Slant shave. (Must rememeber no pressure)