Slim adjustable setting comparison to Progress/Futur settings

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bondage007, May 31, 2015.

1. Bondage007

Bondage007 Active Member

Hello,

Just had my first face, head shave with my birth year (1966) slim adjustable. I had it set at 6 and it seemed pretty close.
    The razor was performed very well. Was waiting till I mastered DE technique before using vintage so I wouldn't be disappointed.
    I use a Progress/Mergress I've been running it at 3.5 and Futur at 3.0. The shave with the slim seemed just a bit closer.
    Does anyone had experience using both, how do they compare for aggressiveness ?

Cheers
    John

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sounds like we're on the same page. I keep my Slim at 6 and my Futur just a tad under 3.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I see a Progress in my Futur.

Tdmsu, spacehobo, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bondage007

Bondage007 Active Member

Sounds like a Vision to me!

Cheers
    John

5. swarden43

That's just a reflection off the chrome :D

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Blade gap is only one factor in aggressiveness. To me the most important factor is blade exposure and the Merkur adjustables both have little blade exposure at the low settings making them feel pretty mild to me. But turn them up and they get more aggressive than a Gillette for sure.

8. swarden43

Agreed. The shape of the razor's head, how it holds the blade, handle length, overall weight, balance all play into a razor's aggressiveness.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Yes, a Merkur wide open on max would be very radical compared an old Gillette. My favorite razor is my Merkur Progress and I've never had it over 7, of 9 settings.

10. Bondage007

Bondage007 Active Member

I have to agree on the Progress. I even went and had mine converted to a Mergress. See picture below.
    I still love shaving with vintage Gillettes but they are a totally different breed.

Cheers
    John image.jpg