Slim Adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fhsfish, Jan 8, 2012.

1. fhsfish

fhsfish New Member

Hey guys,
    This is my second post here and so far I'm really liking this forum. I'm still a lurker at some other forums (mainly B&B) but so far the atmosphere here seems a little more laid back and open. Anyways, I had asked earlier about modern TTO razors and got some good responses, which I appreciate. Over the weekend, I visited my grandfather and just happened to ask him about some of his old razors. Long story short I came into possession of a Gillette Slim Adjustable from 1962, I think. My question is this: when i change the adjustment on it, one side is obviously adjusting and the other seems to keep the same blade gap; is this right? Or should both sides be adjusting? I haven't shaved with it yet, but would like to get this clarified before I do.
    Thanks,
    Fish

2. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

Sounds like it might be stuck. If it hasn't been used in a long time, the soap residue that has built up becomes pretty hard. I would try and give it a soak in some warm water and try to adjust it again. Also make sure you are loosening the blade before you adjust the blade, I find that sometimes the razor will not adjust properly if the blade is tight.

3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

As far as I am aware dont close it tight while you adjust the dial, there was some in formation on here about cleaning them I'll have to look. (Im sure GDcarrington) will have a comprehensive answer for you, as he has a slim in regular use,
    The slim is a great razor I alway enjoy using mine:)

4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Hey, Fish.

Both sides should adjust. When you adjust the setting, makes sure that the TTO is open and not closed. Also, check to see if the guard bar is bent. Does the adjustment numbered ring and TTO turn smoothly?

Since the razor hasn't been used in quite a while, I would soak it in hot soapy water (with the TTO open) for a couple of hours. Then soak it in mineral oil or baby oil, which ever you prefer, over night. This will loosen any gunk and debris inside the adjustment mechanisms and make it work like new.

DLreno, fhsfish and alpla444 like this.
  5. fhsfish

fhsfish New Member

Thanks for the replies so far! Cyanide, the bar on one side was slightly bent, I noticed that as soon as I put a blade in it and fixed it already. I'll put it in some hot water to soak for now and keep watching for replies. Thanks guys

CyanideMetal and alpla444 like this.
  6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Between the baseplate and the adjustment ring there is another plate...It has 4 posts that go up through the base plate...as you turn the adjustment ring it moves this plate up or down so those posts go up further past the base plate...
    When you set it on #1 you should be able to move that movable plate up and down very easily...If its clean and oiled you should be able to flip it up and down rapidly with one finger...If not, its simply a cleaning issue...

BTW...Congratulations...thats such a great razor, and the fact it was you Grand-Dad's is priceless...Also the fact it was James Bond's razor in Goldfinger is pricesless...:cool:

Here are some pics from the scene in Goldfinger's plane when Sean Connery retrieves a mini homing device from the handle of his Slim and hides it in the heel of his shoe...He then shaves...Later when they get off the plane, Pussy Galore rubs the barrel of her revolver on Bond's chin and says,"You do like close shaves, don't you"....priceless...;)

Attached Files:

BassTone and CyanideMetal like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sound advice so far. Really cool to have that razor as an heirloom.
    I'm a fan of the Slim, as well. Enjoy yours for many shaves to come.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It sounds like the mechanism is stuck in some fashion as has been stated. Both sides should have the same amount of gap. If not it is a mechanical issue. Many times it is hair and soap in the mechanism.

First, you should never adjust a Gillette TTO without opening the silo head to reduce pressure on the mechanism.

In an article that I wrote on a Russian razor I have the correct gaps for a Gillette TTO and how you measure this is using a simple spark plug gap feeler gauge such as the one below.

[​IMG]

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-rise-of-the-russian-bear.24462/

The gaps are set in comparison mode to the Russian razor so be sure to note the ones marked Gillette Adjustable only.

Now before you try to tear apart the razor to try to fix it, I will suggest something that some may not agree with but it has worked for me on more than one occasion with Slims that I thought would have to be torn down. Don't try this with razors with plastic or gold plating.

Please follow this exactly as directed below.

First, get some Dawn dish-washing liquid.

[​IMG]

Take a 2 quart pan and place about 1 quart of water and bring the water to a boil with nothing else in it.

After the water is boiling, tum off the heat and do not turn it back on for the remainder of the process.

When the boiling stops, wait two minutes and put one small squirt of Dawn into the hot liquid.

Open up the TTO head and gently lower with a set of tongs into the water.

Set a timer for 30-35 minutes and walk away and do something else and let the water cool.
    Don't stir it, don't apply more heat, leave it alone.

What will happen is the water starts at around 200 deg F. and the combination of heat, water and the grease breaking properties of the Dawn should begin to break down the hair and soap off and out of the mechanism and disperse them throughout the water.

At the end of the 30 - 35 minute cool down process you should pour off the cooler water and clean the razor with a clean rag. Don't worry if you see particles and junk in the water. That means that the mechanism is being freed from old soap and hair. You razor will also be sterilized at this point as well.

Now see if the razor will adjust and the four posts will rise and fall based on the setting.

Adjust starting from 1 and remember to open the head each time you adjust. See what the gap is and the gap should be the same on both sides.
    Adjust to 2 and remember to open the head each time you adjust. See what the gap is and the gap should be the same on both sides.

Each time the gaps as measured with the feeler should be close to what I have provided in the article above for each setting.

Soak the razor for about 30 seconds in 91% or better Isopropyl alcohol to make sure that all the water evaporates out of the razor mechanism.

I would refrain from lubricating the razor until several uses have occurred to make sure that all the gunk is out and it does not have something that can re-seize with an oil application.
    When you are sure that it works properly, you can use a little mineral oil to lubricate if you desire.

Now I have had Slims that could not open at all, become able to freely open and correctly adjust after going through this procedure.

If it does not adjust correctly, you more than likely have a broken set spring. That would require mechanical repairs and that is more than what I am willing to go to repair a Slim since they are so plentiful. If you have to repair it for the sentimental value, then I believe there are instructions to do so, but I have never had to go that far.

Good fortune in you endeavor.

icemanwbs, wlmcad, Mechguy and 7 others like this.
  9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Everything GDC has told you here is great....If I were you Id do it now...and let us know if thats all your razor needs....Wishing you the best on this...

10. fhsfish

fhsfish New Member

Good news everybody...A few hours soaking in hot water freed it right up. Everything appears to be working like clockwork now. I'll report back again as soon as I shave with it!

11. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I gave my Slim this baby oil soak when it's TTO got rough, and that worked wonders-made it smooth as silk. I swear it shaves better now too. That worked so well I soaked all my TTO's. It is a good idea to do a hot water clean first however, as GDCarrington advises above.

CyanideMetal and GDCarrington like this.
  12. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Great news! It's great to see you didn't have to tear down that razor to get her working again!

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very cool, nothing like shaving with a razor that has some family history behind it. :happy088:

14. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

some pics please:D, Glad its ok, hope you like the shave

15. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I enjoy using the Slim adjustable. Glad you got yours in working order to enjoy your shaves.

16. fhsfish

fhsfish New Member

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Excellent that your grandfather was able to share with you. What kind of razor does he currently use? Does he still use a brush and soap / cream?

I tried to get my father to use a DE again and he wants nothing to do with it. He never stopped using the brush and soap though.

The razors look great.

Congrats.

18. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

What a great story. My favorite razor is a Super Speed I inherited from my Great Grandfather. I expect you'll have similar feelings about your slim. I hope it's a true blessing for you.

19. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

A classic Slim and a connection with your grandpa is a wonderful thing indeed! :eatdrink047:

20. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

I got my slim, new-style, and milord from my step father before he passed. It makes for a great connection.
    Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.