Slim adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by aelfred.t.allspa, Feb 18, 2016.

1. aelfred.t.allspa

aelfred.t.allspa Well-Known Member

So I've read some reviews, and I would like to ask the opinion of grand master shave meisters. I used a fat boy at a buddy of mines but I dent really like how big the head was and how heavy the handle was. Can the shave be significantly different between the two? I might get one when I settle my bills but I'd like to be better educated before I make a purchase. So, bottom line, is shaving with the slim much different than the fatboy?

2. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I am also a big fan of adjustable razors. My favorite is the Merkur Progress. It's easy to find the proper angle and has more settings than the vintage Gillettes and man it's smooth.

Most of us like the Fat Boy the best of the vintage adjustable Gillettes. Remember you can buy and sell on Ebay, so you can sell the one you like the least.

Kokak, AGHisBBS and Jorvaljr like this.
  3. aelfred.t.allspa

That's the thing. The fat boy was his and I don't own an adjustable yet. I have a Gillette stubby and a van Der Hagen TTO.

Kokak, Robyflexx and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. poikkeus

poikkeus Member

Believe it or not, there's not much difference between a Fat Boy and Slim in their weight, and the same thing goes for the head. It seems to be a matter of personal preference.

I believe you'll do fine with either.

Kokak, BeShaved, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  5. aelfred.t.allspa

So it's just handle size?

Kokak likes this.
  6. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I have used both and preferred the fatboy but I like the mergress and futur better.

7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

There are plenty of people that prefer the slim over the fb. The head is a little smaller, and some prefer the longer handle of the slim. Both give fine shaves, but you're the one that will have to determine what works best for you:)

Kokak, BeShaved, Robyflexx and 3 others like this.
  8. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Alfred,
    The Mergress is a Progress that's has the plastic setting nob replaced with a metal one
    and the setting fine tuned to be the same setting, as on other Mergess razors.

Kokak, AGHisBBS and Jorvaljr like this.
  9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I don't own a fatboy, but from what I read. The fatboy's head is actually a little taller at the top. The slim is lower, the handle is narrower or "slimmer " and slightly longer I believe anywhere from 1/8-1/4 inch. But the weight is similar . I have the slim and it does have some weight to it. But the interesting thing about the adjustables , is that you can go from mild (1) to aggressive (9) and everywhere in between (2-8) it's like having 9 different razor in one. The slim is considerably cheaper. You can find a really nice one at the high end of about $75 with box and razors. You can find it as cheap as $15 for a user grade ( possibly plate loss and some pitting) . The fatboy is expensive. I couldn't find one for $25. Most go for $35 and up to $75 for decent to good ones. Boxed ones I've seen go for more.

In my opinion. I'd go for slim. Would I want a fatboy? Yes, but I don't want to pay the price it commands. I have other razors I'm more interested in that I would pay more for.

Kokak, LOOT and BeShaved like this.
  10. aelfred.t.allspa

Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I'll add the slim to my list of "need to gets"

11. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I have both. Haven't actually shaved with the Slim yet, so I can't comment on the differences in the actual results. As far as feel, yes, the Slim head is a little smaller, and the handle is a little "slimmer" and a little longer than the Fatboy. While the overall weight isn't that much different, the distribution is. My Slim feels quite a bit more head-heavy than my Fatboy. That being said, if you didn't like the Fatboy AT ALL, then I can't see you liking the Slim much better. However, it's really hard to form an opinion on an adjustable until you've used it for a few weeks. I wasn't terribly impressed with my Fatboy the first few times I used it. Then I cranked it all the way open, and now it's one of my favorite razors.

12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I have a Slim but not a FB. Just looking at pictures it seems the FB has a larger head presence. I like the looks of the FB but I assume I'm getting a similar shave with the Slim. The FB also seems more scarce (and pricey) but the Slim is more plentiful and lower in cost.

Kokak, BeShaved and AGHisBBS like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Agree.
    I have both, as well, and as others have said, really not that much of a difference. At least not to me.
    I leave both locked at 6 and have achieved BBS on more than one occasion.

Kokak, BeShaved and AGHisBBS like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

You forgot the the short-handled Black Beauty. I'm actually tracking prices for those right now. When my no-buy year is up, that's going to be my next target. I don't really enjoy the longer handles, so the only way I'll get one is if I happen to find my birth year / quarter B2.

Kokak, BeShaved, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  16. swarden43

Excellent pic, Jim!
    But as I said, I can't really make that much of a distinction when it comes to anything less than .15 inches or .4 ounces!

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't have the short-handled BB or I would have included it. Maybe one day...
    I hear you Steve. You can't tell the difference on a galloping horse.

Kokak and BeShaved like this.
  18. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I have both and have recently shaved with both and I like both just the same but for different reasons. I appreciate the long handle on the slim and I appreciate the width of the Fatboy. :)

19. swarden43

So you actually notice 1/8 of an inch longer in the handle length and 1/16 of an inch more in handle width?
    If you can, you can. Not saying you can't. Just, wow.

20. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Actually, I can and do notice a difference and it is my shave so I'm enjoying it my way. ;)

Kokak, LOOT, BeShaved and 2 others like this.